CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

how do i...

chriscisme

how do i take apart the steering wheel to check the damage i did to the ignition when i cracked it from being too cold and it got stuc on, etc, etc, ive ade a post about it before, but i never asked how to tke it apart or what to do about it, please help me pout, any advice is greatly appreciated

Because of the airbag, this is something that I would take to a competent mechanic rather than tackle myself. If you do want to do it yourself you need to start by getting the shop manual from http://www.helminc.com or off ebay.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

is the air bag really necessary to disable, i dont thin k i need to ake the steering wheel off, just work behind it and take the "key turning thing" out

You better disable the airbag. Just remove the related fuse and disconnect the battery. Probably all you need is lowering the column without removing the wheel. Nevertheless, it's better to disable the air bag when you do ANY work on the steering column.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You have to work your way down by removing the steering wheel, which will require a steering wheel puller and a lock ring compressor. After that I believe you need to remove the multi-function switch assembly. Then you may be able to get to the lock assembly. It's not easy.

so theres NO way to get to it without taking off the steering wheel??

just maybe taking off the ppart behind thee steering wheel, and how would i go about doing that if possible

It is always a good idea to stay with the same post. Now I recall you thought you might damage mechanical linkage inside of the steering column...If so, to get that far you HAVE TO remove the steering wheel and a lot more down the road. Yes you need wheel puller, and a manual because it's pretty crowded inside of the column.

just maybe taking off the ppart behind thee steering wheel, and how would i go about doing that if possible

You asked for help but you prefer to debate? You don't need to disable the air bag? When it blows up in your face from static electricity maybe you will stop debating. SIR, when I removed my AC Condenser I disabled my AIR BAGS because the MANUAL said so because I was messing with the discriminator.

Buy a service manual!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Interesting video! The problem is if the bags go off while you're working on the car, you might get hurt, but you will certainly do damage to your car.

I suspect that GM made the ignition switch hard to get to in an effort to foil theves.

I would either have a professional do it or follow the factory service manual to the letter.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Think of it like putting a half dozen doughnuts on a dowel rod. To get to the bottom one, you have to remove the top five.

Think of it like putting a half dozen doughnuts on a dowel rod. To get to the bottom one, you have to remove the top five.

Larry, what? no drawing for that analogy? Where are the donuts? :lol:

IPB Image

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Larry, what? no drawing for that analogy? Where are the donuts? :lol:

IPB Image

Mike, any donut puller in your arsenal?

Yes I pull those Krispy Creams with my lips....no need to rent a tool :lol:

how do i take apart the steering wheel to check the damage i did to the ignition when i cracked it from being too cold and it got stuc on, etc, etc, ive ade a post about it before, but i never asked how to tke it apart or what to do about it, please help me pout, any advice is greatly appreciated

I've removed the steering wheel, etc. to replace the turn signal switch assembly and trust what you've been told about disarming the air bag.

There is a procedure for disarming the air bag and accessing the column, including:

1. Disconnecting negative battery cable, pulling the SIR fuse and disconnecting the air bag harness, which is a yellow wire with a harness connection under the dash where the brake peddle is--that is, assuming your Concours has the same set up as my '94 Eldorado.

2. Then you would remove the air bag, which is likely mounted with four torx screws (if I remember correctly) from behind the steering wheel.

3. Then remove the steering wheel nut.

4. Then remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller.

5. Then remove the air bag coil assembly off the shaft by removing retaining ring with a snap plier. Of course you will need to disconnect the coil assembly wire, which is also yellow. There is another yellow coil wire behind the coil going down the column.

6. Then use wheel lock plate tool to remove the lock plate.

7. Then remove the turn signal assembly, which is secured by three screws.

8. And only then, if you know what you're doing, you should have access to the ignition switch assembly.

This is meant to give you a basic understanding of what is involved. I don't know what is precisely involved with respect to your Concourse but I would imaging the job would be similar.

Repairing a GM Saginaw steering column is difficult and not for the weak at heart.

I attached a exploded view of a GM Saginaw column. From the key cylinder, a long rod is used to transfer the motion down the steering column, to the ignition switch.

#77 is the actual ignition switch. It is located lower on the outside of the column. It should be possible to replace the ignition switch with out taking the column apart. But, the column would have to be dropped down somewhat for access to the switch.

Hopefully the switch broke up and the problem is NOT in the mechanicals of the column.

post-2-1170739387.jpg

Repairing a GM Saginaw steering column is difficult and not for the weak at heart.

I attached a exploded view of a GM Saginaw column. From the key cylinder, a long rod is used to transfer the motion down the steering column, to the ignition switch.

#77 is the actual ignition switch. It is located lower on the outside of the column. It should be possible to replace the ignition switch with out taking the column apart.

Hopefully the switch broke up and the problem is NOT in the mechanicals of the column.

I'm glad I didn't see a similar diagram before I tried to replace my turn signal assembly because, if I did, I would probably still be driving around without a left side lamp. :lol:

#77 is the actual ignition switch. It is located lower on the outside of the column. It should be possible to replace the ignition switch with out taking the column apart.

I'm glad I didn't see a similar diagram before I tried to replace my turn signal assembly because, if I did, I would probably still be driving around without a left side lamp. :lol:

Oh I have a picture of that job too.

post-2-1170740028.jpg

can anyone give me an estimate of what a regular mechanic and or the dealer would charge, just so idont get jipped wheni bring it in, if i dont end up ixing it myself

and how would i know if the switch broke and its NOT the mechanics

Witness the rod action at the ignition switch. To do so, drop the 2 upper column bolts. Does the rod work ok at the switch? Or is the switch busted up.

Hopefully, the switch failed. $50 part. $50 install?

It is sometimes cheaper to repace the column with a used one. Versus fixing a GM Saginaw unit.

See attached picture. The yellow arrow points to where the ignition switch is mounted to the out side of the steering column.

It will be easier to see if you remove the bolts holding the steering column in.

When you turn the ignition key....the key cylinder rotates....thru a gear....this rotation is transferd to a rod that moves up/down along the steering column. This rod is connected to the ignition switch located lower on the steering column.

What you need to figure out....is the switch bad...or the gear and rod bad.

post-2-1171036329.jpg

sorry to be a pest about the whole thing, but, when the ignition broke the car got stuck on, so does that mean that somehting mechanically broke or cojuld it also be the switch, how can i tell which it was, is there any way without taking it apart and looking at it

thanks

sorry to be a pest about the whole thing, but, when the ignition broke the car got stuck on, so does that mean that somehting mechanically broke or cojuld it also be the switch, how can i tell which it was, is there any way without taking it apart and looking at it

thanks

If you cannot loosen four bolts under the dush to lower the column and see whether the ignition switch is okay, I would suggest replacing the whole thing (the steering column) with one from junk yard by a mechanic. My money is on the mechanical link inside the column (part number 43 in the exploded diagram). Good luck.

Archived