CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn flasher Module ..for inoperative turn signals...can't find it

JonM127

I found great info as to why my turn signals don't work (I hope), thanks to this board and the excellent posts. I believe my problem is the turn flasher module. I have printed off the diagram that was from the link below, but I still can't find it. I have taken apart everything covering up the electrical equipment below the steering wheel, but I still can't find it. I know it's there, I already have the new part to help me look for it, but I still can't see it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Jon

P.S. I have 20/20 vision. :rolleyes:

I'm unclear. Do your signal lights illuminate but not flash? Or do they not light at all when you engage the turn signal switch?

If they do light when you hit the turn signal and if your hazard and brake lights work, your turn signal switch is likely good.

Have you checked the turn flasher module?

Location: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/Chime3.jpg (218KB)

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Welcome aboard!

The turn flasher module is a little black box with three spade connectors for the cable connector. It is located up under the dash above the steering wheel, just to the driver's left of the steering colum. It is high, and clipped to one of the sheet metal dashboard braces. Drop the two covers and the cover over the bottom of the steering column, lie on your back, and keep following cables with your fingers until you find it. Work the clip off the sheet metal brace, replace it, and clip it back where you found it so that the click will sound right.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys

adding an update a few years later.... I used this post (and a few others) to help me find my signal flasher unit. I had to remove the black plastic guard at the bottom of the dash (2 screws), then remove the part of the dash right under the steering wheel (4 big clips), then remove a steel plate behind it (4 screws) which exposed the entire under dash wiring, brake pedal et al.

I still could not locate the signal unit until finally I found it tucked away on the left behind a chunk of lower dash. What a pain to get at it. Anyhow after you know what to remove and where everything is it would only take about 10m to do. It took me 2 hours :rolleyes:

thx

Edited by 1997 Seville STS

• 11 years later...

I have a 2011 cts v and my driver brake light and turn signals do not work.  I connected the driver tail light assembly to passenger plug and passenger to driver plug and same thing so I know bulbs are good front and back.  Already replaced the turn signal switch any one come across this 

Edited by Sonny

From the FSM schematic, the rear left, or driver's side, tail/stop/turn lamp circuit is identical to that of the right side.  EXCEPT for the ground, a BK wire going to G402 (BK wire tied to body behind the back seat, high, near the door frame), the trailer connector (check it for pinched wires or shorts), and its own connector on the BCM (check for pushed-in terminals in the connector).

There are three fuses in the underhood fuse block that provide power to the BCM, BCM 4, 5 and 6, all 10 Amp.  One of them may be for the left rear.  Since the rear lights have a trailer connector, I'm sure that each side has its own fuse, probably BCM 4 and BCM 5.

Does the dashboard flasher arrow for left turns work?  If it turns on at all, the problem is probably in the connector or the ground.  You have already checked the light itself.

EDIT:  Usually I ask people to check their OBD codes first, but on your car and mine you can't do that yourself from the driver's seat.  You can ask the OnStar operator to ready you the codes (and email them to you!) or you can use a code reader.  This problem seems pretty straightforward if you have the schematics, which I do, on a GM SI DVD.  But this goes on for much at all, and we can't get 12 Volts to at least one of the YE wires to the left rear tail/stop/turn signal lights, the fuses are good, and the trailer connector isn't shorted, we will want the OBD codes.  You can check the ground by putting a voltmeter on the BK wire on the left stop/tail/turn light; if there is 12 Volts on either or both of the YE wires but the BK ground line has zero volts when the dashboard flasher arrow is on or blinking, then the logic in the taillight assembly may be bad.  Autozone and others offer to read your OBD codes free.

Edited by Cadillac Jim
More Thoughts

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.