CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rack & Pinion flush?

98Concours

I just got a letter (advertisement) from a local dealer saying I need a 24,000 mile service. A few of the recommended services are:

1. Flush rack & pinion assembly

2. Install deposit control kit-fuel & oil

3. Flush power steering

Ever hear of flushing the rack and pinion? Without me calling them and finding out about these services, any idea what "install deposit control kit-fuel and oil?

It all sounds like a gimmick to me.

Jeff

PS, it's not from the Caddy dealer.......it's from a large dealer that sells just about every brand except Cadillac. I go there sometimes to have my oil changed because they are a GM Goodwrench dealer and have 9.95 oil/filter changes using a delco filter.

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Since tune ups are almost a thing of the past they have to get inovative and come up with other ways to part you from your money. Didn't they recommend a crankcase & transmission flush? :rolleyes:

I don't know if I'd consider flushing the steering system such a bad thing -- unless they hook it up to some sort of machine. I think my car has a bad/failing rack (groaning under high load) and that's been a common theme on the old board (someone else had to replace a rack due to same symptoms). I don't know how much a new rack costs, but I bet it's MUCH more than a steering system service if that flush service will enable a longer life.

Just a thought...

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Problems with rack and pinion steering gear are nothing new, my old 1986 Merkur was prone to them for some reason. The cure was always to change P/S fluid. Now, on my 1999 STS, service records indicate that the P/S rack had been changed at about 20,000 miles. I know this must be true because after I bought the car I found both tie rod ends loose, as in not tightened after the repair. Maybe this is a weak spot in the design of these cars, or maybe it is an attempt to solve other issues such as the ever present out of balance tire problem, who knows? The real question is how much are you willing to spend to maintain your car. Fact is, it can't hurt...unless it hurts your wallet.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Hi

Flushing the rack and pinion not a bad idea.However on the newer cars they have a filter to catch the dirt,debris and seal particles that wear.So all you should have to do is clean the filter.In the 80's I used to install a metal gas filter on the return in from the power steering pump to catch the dirt in the system they worked great and never had to replace another rack and pinion on any of my cars.Some of the early designs did not have a filter in the system.Preventive maintaince can be a good thing if your handy and can do it yourself but it can get costly to have a dealer do it.Some preventive maintaince people just don't do.Last summer while I was at the dealer I asked about changing my coolant and flushing the brake system(changing the brake fluid). The service writer started to laugh and asked what on a car 2 years old? Then goes into the garage and starts telling the mechanics listen to this.I really felt like telling him where to go in a hurry but I let it pass and just told him that's rite and just did it myself in a couple hours on a saturday afternoon.

Good Luck

Jim

I did this myself, it was fun! ;)

Used a clear piece of 3/8 tubing and hooked it up to the, low pressure, return hose at the P/S pumps reservoir tank.

I simply started the engine and poured in P/S fluid as it was pumped out. Really makes you "feel good" to see that black fluid turn clear (you need to turn the wheel back & forth to get the rack flushed)

Just as Guru says to never let anybody hook your car up to a flush "machine" (and I assume that applies here) the "dump while refilling" method works well on both trans & P/S.

Archived