CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear Brake Cube Years?

OynxSTS

I'm getting ready to replace the pads on my 02 STS...

I thought I read that you need a brake "cube" tool to "reset" the piston on the rear calipers... My GM manual says to do it "old school" with a big "C" clamp...

Before I break the brakes... <_<

Can someone confirm which years needed the piston "turned in" with the brake cube...

Thanks..

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I just finished reading all of the instructions and it says to only us a C clamp to retract 1mm max... squish it only enough to free the tension off of the disk

It then goes on to say...

"Retract the brake caliper piston into the brake caliper bore. Use a spanner type wrench and turn the piston clockwise until it bottoms out fully in the brake caliper. "

I hope that what I call a spanner and what GM calls a spanner are the same thing... :lol::lol:

caddy.jpg

Greg

Use a "C" clamp on the fronts and brake cube on the rears. Remember, when you install the rear pads, the indentations on the rear pistons must be in the 12:00 and 6:00 positions.

Replacing rear brake pads on an '02??? Betcha don't need to. I just needed to replace the rear's on my '95 etc with 155k (driven spiritedly allways) for the first time last month ...

Also, to retract the front calipers, I always do that before removing the caliper using a large'ish screw driver between the old pads and the edge of the rotor or what ever else is handy.

The "C" clamp is for pushing the piston back into the caliper, but you also have to reset the screw in part of the rear brakes only, this is what you will need the "CUBE" for, it goes int ohe 2 notches in the disc, it take quite a few turns to get it all the way in............good luck

I just finished reading all of the instructions and it says to only us a C clamp to retract 1mm max... squish it only enough to free the tension off of the disk

It then goes on to say...

"Retract the brake caliper piston into the brake caliper bore. Use a spanner type wrench and turn the piston clockwise until it bottoms out fully in the brake caliper. "

I hope that what I call a spanner and what GM calls a spanner are the same thing... :lol::lol:

The "spanner type wrench" is service manual termonology for the brake cube. I like Jim's idea on using the back of the old pad as a spanner. You could trim it to leave only a small disc with the two bosses and then weld a socket to it so it would attach to a 3/8" rachet.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have used the open end of an 11/16" or 3/4" combination wrench in the piston slots. Put a short screwdriver through the box end and torque away.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The "spanner type wrench" is service manual termonology for the brake cube. I like Jim's idea on using the back of the old pad as a spanner. You could trim it to leave only a small disc with the two bosses and then weld a socket to it so it would attach to a 3/8" rachet.

the cube is pretty in expensive, cutting, grinding, socket welding, not worth it for a $15 tool!

Just buy the cube if you expect to do rear discs.

Hey Onyx....

Just buy the cube - I will split the cost with you....for when I need to do my rears....

Tom.

Sure... But RMac-ETC is correct... My back brakes are fine... I was betting they were the problem since my front were done at the dealer just before I got the car 2 1/2 years ago... Boy, the back brakes on these cars are pewncy...

Anyway... My passenger front brake is fine, lots of meat left.. my driver side is toast... I looks like the inboard pad delaminated or just plain desintegrated.

Off to see my friendly GM parts guy tomorrow morning

caddy.jpg

Greg

If the slider bolt is corroded, the FSM says not to sand on it, but to replace it. I'd replace the rubber bushings as well and don't forget to use silicone brake lube. Check all the sliding contact points to make sure they're smooth.

Archived