CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Network wiring

Looking for input from folks with hands-on every day working experience with network cabling (RJ-45 connectors).

I have in the past used a 'short' (as in five feet or less) length of ribbon cable to temporarily terminate a network hookup until I had time to assemble a 'proper' twisted pair cable.

The question is; what is the maximum practical (real world) length of non-twisted pairs that can be used before performance starts to suffer?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim, I had these two pages saved, I recently had to make a few custom length Cat5 cables. I was not successful on the first two tries, as I used the wrong spec. I find it tedious, but I got better at it with practice. Anyway, here are two sites I found helpful. Mike

http://compnetworking.about.com/gi/dynamic...rk%2Fcablng.htm

http://www.wiringwizard.com/primer/cables/...ossedVsStraight

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Looking for input from folks with hands-on every day working experience with network cabling (RJ-45 connectors).

I have in the past used a 'short' (as in five feet or less) length of ribbon cable to temporarily terminate a network hookup until I had time to assemble a 'proper' twisted pair cable.

The question is; what is the maximum practical (real world) length of non-twisted pairs that can be used before performance starts to suffer?

I suppose it depends on a number of factors, but the 12 twists per inch (18 TPI for CAT 6) is what increases the performance of the cable. In other words, your performance is already 'degraded'. Not sure how much longer you can go with the cable to receive the same performance, though.

Are you in IT or is this a home installation, etc.?

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

It's a home project. Let me say that I use CAT 5 cable for all permanent installations.

But, I recently purchased a wireless "G" router that included a six foot piece of flat ribbon cable. And that cable is what started me wondering about how much non-twisted is too much.

It's really an academic exercise. The computer I use the most is this laptop and now I have useable wireless coverage everwhere in this building. Don't need no stinking patch cable.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It's a home project. Let me say that I use CAT 5 cable for all permanent installations.

But, I recently purchased a wireless "G" router that included a six foot piece of flat ribbon cable. And that cable is what started me wondering about how much non-twisted is too much.

It's really an academic exercise. The computer I use the most is this laptop and now I have useable wireless coverage everwhere in this building. Don't need no stinking patch cable.

Hmmm....interesting! I wonder why they included that instead of regular CAT 5? Ahh, wireless is nice (so long as you take the time to properly secure it). No steenking patch cable indeed.

It's amazing how many unsecured wireless networks there are out there. Dangerous stuff, folks!

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

JimD,

Not an expert but...

I think there are at least two factors to consider (for both 10baseT or 100baseTX). The 1gb stuff might be otherwise...

1. Given the same wire size, the max length might be the same (usually 300 feet, but some claim up to 2,500 feet), in perfect conditions (no interferance issues).

2. Running though walls, ductwork and other power lines causes interferance issues that the twisted-wire aspect tends to mitigate. Shielding in this case, can cause isues (as you probably know).

You might not notice any interferance issues with relatively short runs of straight conductors.

I believe that I have seen info from a company, (which I used for video applications), that extends RJ-45 up to 6-miles over POTS (plain old telephone system) unshielded, untwisted, 22-gauge wire with inexpensive transceivers on each end.

Good luck!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I regularly stream 6 mbs video over my wireless home network without difficulty. I use Buffalo.

The Audio Video Science Forum members can be very helpful with home networking systems:

http://www.avsforum.com .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived