CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 eldo Thermostat replacement

McMasterson

I believe i need a new thermostat in my 2000 ETC as the Coolant temp does not heat up fast enough. The trouble code shows either it is the thermostat or the coolant temp sensor. I figured the thermostat would be the cheaper way to try first.

I have changed many a thermostats, but wondering on these northstars if there are any hidden quirks to be aware of when i swap it out. Are they easy to get to and to do? Are they are the driver side where the water pump is, or some weird, difficult location. I heard the starters on these northstars are under the intake!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bruce

I believe i need a new thermostat in my 2000 ETC as the Coolant temp does not heat up fast enough. The trouble code shows either it is the thermostat or the coolant temp sensor. I figured the thermostat would be the cheaper way to try first.

I have changed many a thermostats, but wondering on these northstars if there are any hidden quirks to be aware of when i swap it out. Are they easy to get to and to do? Are they are the driver side where the water pump is, or some weird, difficult location. I heard the starters on these northstars are under the intake!

Thanks!

Bruce

Bruce,

Not anything that I'm aware of - then again I haven't changed mine out yet. On my '94 it's on the driver's side of the engine compartment, and I can see the housing by following the lower radiator hose up.

And yes, the starters are underneath the intake...see:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?act...ost&id=2914

HTH:

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Thanks!

Bruce

bruce,

Just did mine a a '97 N*...

If you haven't done one yet, be prepared for something totally

different... the thermostat must be a GM product... off brands are trouble..

i did a new water pump at the same time and since it was a '97, redesigned

themostat housing.. you won't have that problem, ask to be sure...

not hard to do. be sure to put sealant tabs in...

If you are apt to do a water pump while you're in there, get the loan

a tool from Autozone to remove the water pump...GM water pump required too!

Check the archives for instructions..

good luck

jim

Thanks!

Bruce

bruce,

good luck

jim

Where can i find sealant tabs? can i just use bars leak?

thanks,

Bruce

Thanks!

Bruce

bruce,

good luck

jim

Where can i find sealant tabs? can i just use bars leak?

thanks,

Bruce

The Bars Leaks "Golden Seal" powder (brown powder) is the same stuff as the GM tabs.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived