CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 Northstar with oil pressure issues.

sb27610

I just had a 95 Northstar 4.6L vin y engine put into my 99 deville. and the second day I got it back the check engine oil signal came on the dash. It seemed to come on intemittently for about a week whether the engine was hot or cold when I started it. Last week the red oil can lit up after driving about 20 miles and stopping. When I got in home the Low oil pressure light came on and the stop engine light came on. I hear a rattle coming from the side where the serpentine belt is located but it sound's like it is external to the engine but I cant be sure. The engine came out of a car that was wrecked in feb 05 and sat until sept 06 waiting to go into my car. has about 100,000 miles on it. and power seems good. ANy suggestions.????

What did the shop that did the work diagnose it as?

I would think a clogged oil pump pickup, but they should fix it for you.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I just had a 95 Northstar 4.6L vin y engine put into my 99 deville. and the second day I got it back the check engine oil signal came on the dash. It seemed to come on intemittently for about a week whether the engine was hot or cold when I started it. Last week the red oil can lit up after driving about 20 miles and stopping. When I got in home the Low oil pressure light came on and the stop engine light came on. I hear a rattle coming from the side where the serpentine belt is located but it sound's like it is external to the engine but I cant be sure. The engine came out of a car that was wrecked in feb 05 and sat until sept 06 waiting to go into my car. has about 100,000 miles on it. and power seems good. ANy suggestions.????

I had problems with the installer and I don't plan on bringing it back there. Ripped me off on the install price and took 5 months to finish job. I dont plan on driving it until I can find someone I trust to look at it. Trying to figure out if its even worth fixing.

So your first indication was a low oil LEVEL. Then low oil pressure. It might be the oil cooler had drained during the engine change, and had not opened up right away and the intitial oil fill was not sufficient to cover this. Many mechanics assume the standard oil fill of 5 quarts for GM engines is sufficient. A dry engine will need most of 8 quarts.

Or maybe you have an external leak and are loosing oil someplace.

Jim in Phoenix

Jim in Phoenix

Was the crankshaft dampener off the engine before the install? If it is not torqued properly (something like 320 ft/lbs) the oil pump will slip and loose pressure. The other possibility is a bad pressure switch. The Check Oil message is nothing to worry about. It comes on at 2 qts. low. Just top it off.

Archived