CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn Signal Switch Remove and Replace

1997 Seville STS:

I think I have a bad turn signal switch. (I was playing around with hooking up a "sequential turn signal system", I didn't think I did anything wrong) (I removed the system after the problem was found!) The right and left brake lights do not work. (the center does) I used a test light to track down the wire from the brake switch going into the steering column. (Its good) But nothing comes back out of the column. Both sides work with the turn signals and hazards. May wiring diagram tells me it has to be the switch assembly. Any other thoughts? Now! how does that switch come out? Does the steering wheel come off? And if so, what do I did to know before trying that? (Airbag stuff, radio control stuff) Any information would be helpful..

Thanks Ken

After some thinking about the problem. Yes I'm pretty sure that it will be the turn signal switch that is bad. I remember pushing in the hazards flasher button, it was hard to push the first time. I bit it broke then. So, does anybody have any information on the switch or this happening to them? Ken

Ken,

I can't help much with the diagnosis although off the top of my head I would not suspect the surn signal swith for a brake light problem. I can tell you that getting to it is a royal PITA. You will need to remove the air bag and steering wheel. Then you need a "special tool " or three screw drivers and 4 hands to remove a retaining ring. It CAN be done without the "special tool", I've done it though it took a LOT longer and many many 4 letter words.

Its the turn signal switch inside the steering column. Larry, the lower brakelight circuit goes thru the turn signal for turn signal control.

Classic STS issue....no lower brakelights. Upper LED works.....check the turn signal switch.

If the lower works. But not the LED, check for a crushed harness near the drivers side trunk hinge. The upper is on a different circuit that does not go thru the switch.

Archived