CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Compressor Update

BostonETC97

Turns out the a/c system was overfilled, as it had 3 pounds of refrigerent and far too much oil. A very heavy evac and flush, vacuum leak test, followed by the proper 2 pound fill, and the a/c is ICE cold again! My mechanic added dye to the system, just incase there was a leak the vac test may have missed.

The compressor which was only a year old and seized on me, seems to be working fine for now. I'm a little concerned about the stress on the seals from my overfilling, but for now it's operating flawlessly with no noise or binding.

I guess I learned my lesson the hard way! For now on I'm not playing with a/c without knowing how much is in the system, and how much to add. I can speak from experience that having "extra" refrigerent does NOT cool the car at all - it does the opposite and it makes for 'coolish-moist' air and stressed out compressors.

It's great to have the icy cold a/c again!

-Scott

To paraphrase someone here: In the School of Hard Knocks the tuition is dear and the tests are given before the lessons are clear.

Glad it worked out for you. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived