CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Do You Change Your Brake Fluid

Garlicdude

I read an automotive columinist in this mornings newspaper and he reccommended changing your brake fluid every 4-5 years. I've read other articles about how this should done. I live in Northern California and the humidity is low. If I read the article correctly the major reason for changing brake fluid is that the fluid picks up water and can lesson braking ability as well as rusting components.

So do you change your brake fluid, how often, and the cost to do the job

Thanks,

I recently did.

It was pretty easy to do with a hand vacuum pump and a large jar with two fitting on the lid (I made myself).

Seeing the old "dirty" fluid change to clear as I flushed it made me feel good about the effort :)

I think it's something I'll continue to do with cars I really care about and plan to keep.

Every 4-5yrs seems about right and certainly couldn't hurt!

I have never done it in the past but am planning on doing it this summer on my wifes '96 Bonneville (105K). I seem to recall Guru saying 10 yrs or 100K is about right for a change.

As for the reason, you did read it correctly. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and when the concentration gets to high can start to rust lines and components. It should not absorb much as it is a closed system but is not "completely" air tight.

I did mine about three years ago. If you're not in a big rush, just get a piece of clear tubing and push it over the bleeder.

Open the bleeder and let gravity do it's thing. When the fluid runs clear, move to the next wheel.

Just keep the master cylinder full.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

"One thing that you want to do is to mop all the old fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid before starting the bleeding/purging of each wheel.....some of the worst of the contaminants and moisture and sediment are usually in the reservoir and you don't want to push that thru the system" If you "Mop" all the old fluid out, you might have to bleed the master cylinder. I have removed the crud, with an old Glass turkey baster. I always leave some fluid in, so I don't have to bleed the M cylinder.

rek

I hear you, I just offered the advice, to be on the safe side. Bleeding the MC can be "Fun", especially if you have to take it off, or jack the car up till it's level. But, then again, I don't know if Caddies are like that(need bench bleeding, if the ports are exposed-no fluid). BTW, your "Power Bleeder" sounds like it has "Market Potential" as in good idea...

rek

Archived