CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey there all, just popping in...

STS Scott

Hi everyone,

I know I'm an 'outsider' now :( (my Dad still has his DTS though!) but I thought extend this question to the knowledge base of Caddyinfo...

I bought a 1990 Grand Prix as a winter/school car, and have a problem with the lights always being on when running, even during the day. I can't read the digital readouts because they are in "night time mode". The headlight switch changes nothing. I don't think the car has the twilight sentenel to turn them on, or at least the owners manual says nothing of it.

Do any of you guys have any ideas, or know of any good Grand Prix/W-body/ 3.1 motor forums? :blink:

Thanks! It feels good to drop a line in here again!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

it might had Daytime Running Lights, otherwise there might be something wrong with the switch that turns the lights on and off.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I think you'll find this an easy fix, my Caddy had the same sort of thing going on when I first bought it. The dash photo sensor was unplugged! Somebody had apparently had the top of the dash off and forgot to plug the sensor back in when it was re-installed. In the case of the Caddy though, there was a readout "Headlights Suggested" which sort of tipped me off. Yours may have actually gone bad however, or the contacts corroded, or whatever, but I think you'll find the fix very similar to mine. Unless of course the car thinks the wipers are on, then all bets are off!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Cool! Thanks for the info guys!

There is a round plastic tab, with a pin sized hole in the center, on the left side of the dash. I'm not sure if it is a sensor or just a fastener, but there is not one on the pass. side. It doesn't look like light sensor, or at least not like the little tinted bubble that the STS had in the center of the dash.

I'll have the switch looked at, and check out Pontiacowners.com too.

Once again, Thank You for the help!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Archived