CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Listen to this muffler

AaronM

Listen to this Edelbrock muffler! It is one of the RPM series ones. Sounds nice! I wonder how loud it is if you are next to it. I wish someone would make a sound clip of a Dynomax superturbo muffler on a caddy. This muffler sounds nice!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/472581/6

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

I kind of like Corsa's, but the price is killer.

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashcadillac.htm

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Edelbrock mufflers are very nice mufflers, and well worth the asking price, if you ask me. I had an RPM series cross flow muffler (designed for F-bodies) on my '84 Cutlass and was very pleased with the sound. Low and mellow, and not too loud at all. If my OE mufflers ever disintegrate on my '97, I plan to put either Edelbrock or Borla mufflers on...preferences right now lean towards Edelbrock.

Thanks for the link. Sounds good!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks for the reply! I think I am now leaning to this muffler over the Dynomax, mainly because the Edelbrock is made with SS. The roads here in Michigan are covered with salt and I don't know how long the Dynomax would last. Now as far as application. The Camaro/Firebird muffler has 3" in and 2.5" out. I measured my pipes and they are 2.5" in and 2.25" out. Can I use the Camaro/Firebird muffler on my caddy with the reduction insert things? I won't be installing them but I want to order my muffler online so I can get it cheaper.

Thanks!

Aaron

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

my dynomax was 2.5 in 2.5 out. you can get them in various sizes to fit your application. i'm sure the dynomax is aluminum, but it does have lifetime warranty.

I think I am now leaning to this muffler over the Dynomax, mainly because the Edelbrock is made with SS. The roads here in Michigan are covered with salt and I don't know how long the Dynomax would last.

I have exactly the same concern about replacing the stock stainless steel mufflers. If I'm not mistaken, while perusing Dynomax's web site, I thought that I saw the Superflows being offered in SS. I'll have to go back now and double check. SS is the only wat to go here in Mich. where they put down 1" of salt for 1/2" of snow!

The Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers are just aluminized, but the Ultra Flow mufflers are stainless steel, as are all of Edelbrock's products. Aaron, look up Edelbrock RPM muffler #5509. I think that's what I had on my Cutlass, and I think it was 2.5" inlet with twin 2.25" outlets (in a cross-flow design).

Even living in the South, I wouldn't purchase any muffler that wasn't stainless steel. The OE system is stainless (and still looks like new on the outside), so I wouldn't "downgrade" to aluminized if I didn't have to (and fortunately I don't).

I looked uo part 5509. It said this:

"Muffler, RPM Series, 3 in. Inlet/Dual 2.5 in. Outlet, Camaro/Firebird Crossflow, Each"

I looked and I didn't find any with 2.5" in 2.25" out. Should I just buy the 5509 and get the reducers in stainless steel?

How much should this cost to install. I am going to bring it to a shop. Any recommendations for shops?

Thanks again!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Sorry -- it was #5519 that I had on my car, and it looks like it's 2.5" all the way around. If your inlet pipe is 2.5", I'd buy that muffler and just have the shop bend some 2.5" tailpipes and weld your tips on there. Get some high-temp exhaust paint from POR and it'll probably be good for the rest of the life of the car. I paid $180 for that muffler way back in 1995, so I don't know how much they go for today. They're pricey, but you always get what you pay for.

By the way, check out the exhaust sounds on the Edelbrock website:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/exhaust_sounds.html

They sound a lot clearer than that guy had on that website (who knows what equipment he was using). I bet if you install the #5519 F-body muffler, your car will sound very similar to the LT1 Camaro they have on there. Theirs has the headers and a full cat-back system, but I think the tone will be right on to what you'll have. Just my guess anyway.

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! That camaro sounds awesome! Thanks again!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Archived