CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 SLS car stereo question????

97SLS

I just inherited a 1997 Cadillac SLS. It has the factory delco radio/tape unit. I want a CD player. I am unable to find a car kit for this year/make and model. I have talked to a local car audio shop about a cd changer with an fm modulator, installing a new CD player and manufacturing a face plate...but I am not sure what my best option would be. It seems as though there may be something about the computer in the car and the existing tape deck that will make this task more difficult than anticipated. I am thinking now of trying to find a wrecked Cadi and getting a Bose CD player and then having the shop install new speakers in the vehicle. Any suggestions on how to make this work, what is involved and where to find the right Bose CD/radio for this year make and model would be greatly appreciated. A local dealership quoted me around $900 for a CD player for the vehicle. :wacko:

for my 96 sts the local stereo shop had to order the mount kit and a special modulator that plugs into the factory harness then goes threw rcas to my deck, i was told the modulator was for the bose system so the factory amps still work, my total install for everything was 850 canadian and that was wireing my 2 amps as well so i know the amp wire kit is atleast $125 i willl see if i can find my reciet for it to get a product # for the install kit, and as far as transfering your stock unit to the bose, all the speakers need to be changed as well, more hassel then it is worth and bose spearkers arent cheap

If you're looking to upgrade to a decent system, $900 is probably reasonable no matter what make or model you are looking at. The good thing about the Bose is that you have a factory system, with OBD II diagnostics and factory dash console plate.

There are three Bose systems for 1997: Base, with tape and single CD player on the dash console, with the 12-CD player in the trunk, and 12-CD player with DSP. I have the 12-CD player with DSP and love it, although you have to be careful not to damage the CD player in the trunk with, say, an engine block rolling around in the trunk while a lead-foot valet cuts donuts in the parking garage with it. I love the Bose and use the DSP most of the time (on "Driver's Seat"), and 12 CDs can play 200 songs in random order -- just like having your own radio station.

The radio comes in three main pieces: the control unit, in the dash console, the radio itself behind the back seat on the passenger side, and speakers and wiring harness. The Bose systems all use active speakers with something like acoustic wave bass in the door speakers.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

$900 for just the GM/Delco CD player is silly in my opinion (that would not include labor, good speakers....). I could have the current tape player/radio relocated to the trunk and have a new cd player and speakers installed for that money. I don't want to "bastardize" the car as it was well cared for by my uncle who left it to me (low miles also 40,700 when I drove it out of my aunts garage last weekend). If I have to find the regular Delco CD player and have new speakers installed (and possibly an amp in the future) that would be fine. I did not realize what all was involved with the Bose system. The factory stereo/tape in the car sounds mediocre at best but maybe I am spoiled by the JBL factory system in my Toyota Avalon...

Where do I find a REASONABLY priced GM/Delco CD player for the car and what would be involved with having it swapped out with the existing tapeplayer/radio??? I will probably replace the factory speakers also as they are not that great.

Archived