CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tensioner (again...)

BostonETC97

I think I found the root of all my odd noises, groans, whines, and 'chirp' on acceleration. The main belt tensioner has a nice hop to it at idle, but smooths out under higher rpm load. It has tension, but has a moderate shake at idle. Almost looks like it had too many cups of coffee (that kind of shake!)

Is this the usual early sign of a weak/failing tensioner? When I had the belt off, I rolled all the pullies, and they were smooth with no side to side looseness to them. Is it safe to assume at 93k the tensioner is nearing the end of its useful life?

I replaced the main pulley but the tensioner is the original. There shouldn't be any shaking of the pulley or tensioner--It should be smooth. I would check the tensioner bolt to make sure it's not loose. If that's not the problem, it looks like it's time for a new tensioner. I suppose one other possibility is that the pulley is slightly out of round.

I replaced the belt about 10,000 miles ago. For a while there's been a 'chirp' upon acceleration (and it's not the tires! :lol: ), and for the past month or so, there's now a groan/growl for the first few seconds after startup, that quickly goes away. New a/c compressor, new alternator, and new belt. After seeing how the entire tensioner arm is bouncing up and down, my guess is that the spring is getting tired and letting some slip of the belt occur when the draw from the alternator, a/c compressor, and p/s pump are all "asking for power" right after startup.

I guess the good news is that the tensioner looks like an easy replacement job!

Archived