CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water pump housing

Jeff

Well, I took my baby to the doctor to find my water leak. <_<

He pressured it up and found it was not the water pump after all. :angry:

The leak is back where the water pump "housing" runs back toward the firewall. I assume that is all pump housing... The piece that the water pump sits in is a big long part that runs along the driver's side of the engine, right? Well the leak is about halfway back up on top, between it and the motor. What the heck is that?? :o

Is that some major bucks?? Is there a gasket there?? Wassup?

Do I need to post a picture?

Thanks,

Jeff... again...

Is it leaking at a gasket or through the casting itself? There are 4 gaskets between the water pump crossover and the heads/block. The main wiring harness that runs along the top of the trans and below the crossover casting can be a PITA. Follow the routing of the harness towards the front of the engine and there will be a large plug. Once you separate the plug, the harness should be able to be moved out of the way enough to access all the bolts. You might need to remove the shift cables and gear selector switch that is mounted on top of the trans to gain room.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I assume it is leaking at the gasket. I'm just going by what he told me on the phone. He's going to pressure it up so I can see it this afternoon. I know all gaskets can eventually leak, but how likely are these to do that? I guess either way I have to get that thing off- just don't want to buy the housing!!

I know the harness you are talking about- you're right about that!

Have you done this repair before, KHE?

Jeff

I removed the water pump crossover when I thought I was going to Timesert the engine in my '97 STS with the engine in the car. Had the manual mentioned the large electrical connector, it would have made the job much easier.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I also have a coolant leak in the same area. It's either the water pump cover or perhaps a gasket between the WP housing and block. I don't know exactly where because the leak is under the pump. Coolant is leaking onto what looks to be the brake proportioner (white cover), which is directly under the WP. When I look down at the harnesses under the pump I can see that they're wet. I'll see if I can't get a mirror into the area some way to find out. I just ordered a new WP cover which should arrive any day. I would think the water pump itself can't leak because it's encased in housing.

I got to see it under pressure at lunch. If you look straight down at where the water pump belt cover bolts down to the block, there is a bolt in the "crossover?" that bolts it to the block. It's the second bolt back from the front on the housing or crossover. At that point, you can see the top of one of those four gaskets that you mentioned earlier- it just squirts out right there. Looks like the size of stream that a water gun makes. What made me think that it was the pump is because it was running down the seam of the housing and the block and running right down the back of the pump. I may just try tightening that bolt a taste. It could happen... :o

I have run the sealant tabs and they seem to have no effect on it.

Archived