CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Distributor Changeout

bolokid

I recently purchased a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Limo with a 5.7 LT1. The distributor needs to be replaced and the Caddy dealership is not forth coming with the write up for the change out. Can anyone walk me through changing the distributor before I take the plunge and just start removing peices? Thanks.

Remove the cap and make note of which plug wire the rotor is pointing at (mark the cap if necc.) Remove any other wires then remove the clamp down bolt and clamp at the base. Lift the distributor out and drop in the new on being sure the rotor is in the exact same position when it is seated. Reclamp, attach wires and cap and check the timing.

Larry, the LT1 is more complicated than that to change the "distributor" on. It's called Optispark and is a totally different creature. I'm sure everyone with an LT1 wishes it was that simple to do.

Larry, the LT1 is more complicated than that to change the "distributor" on.  It's called Optispark and is a totally different creature.  I'm sure everyone with an LT1 wishes it was that simple to do.

I just read rek's link. HOLY CRAP! All that for a distributor? I guess it IS more complicated than that".

Sorry, Guess I'm not familiar with the LT1. Sure wish they'd quit chang'in this stuff on me <_>

Archived