CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DRL

Astrak

How would I go about activating the DRL function on my 92 Eldo? Is it just a relay or what do I have to do.

It was not available in your model year.

In any event, it involves hardware that runs the high beams at half voltage. Relays etc., not something you "turn on" or "turn off" through PCM settings.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Well sure it is both the FSM and the manual for the car say it is available.

How could you *possibly* type that fast?

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'd be VERY surprised to hear that 1992 Eldorados had DRL at all, much less that they could be toggled on/off.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

:lol:

Glad you saw the humor. :)

Regards,

Warren

I actually knew what you were going to type before you did so I already had my reply prepared.

HE DID IT AGAIN ?!?

Posted Image

Now he is toying with you Warren. He's got you and he knows it. :lol:

Well, yes, perhaps. His second response took all of two minutes, DOUBLE the one minute

of the first response. The wodka is getting to him.

I'll wait for his answer to my 10:17pm post . . . . starting NOW!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Astrak,

As Warren said, I think it is probably rather complicated. They are tied into the twighlight sentinal as well as reducing voltage. Probably a few things I am not thinking of as well.

Well, the "Canadian" mention comes a little late in the discussion, BUT if "unfortunately the place where the fuses go is nothing but a hole no electrical connections.", it would appear you DO NOT have DRL capability.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Well I figured that the Caddy would be like other cars and have everything already there but the relay and fuse would not have been installed. Like on my Chrysler I didn't have a passenger side power seat but the wiring harness was tucked under the carpet or DRL's on my Concorde were as simple as installing the relay.

There are various modules that you can use to do this, IF you want DRLs.. Heck, you could take three relays and make your own system, that would turn on when the car is ON, Turn off when the headlamps are on, and turn off when the car turns off...

hrmm.. Im a lurker now.. heh im movin up in life :-D

There are various modules that you can use to do this, IF you want DRLs.. Heck, you could take three relays and make your own system, that would turn on when the car is ON, Turn off when the headlamps are on, and turn off when the car turns off...

hrmm.. Im a lurker now.. heh im movin up in life :-D

Does sound rather seedy, doen't it. Don't worry, 2 more posts and you'll move up, but it's been so long I forget what. Peeping Tom perhaps. :lol:

BTW, WELCOME!

Thanks Ranger, LOL.

Astrak, the other thing I was going to mention was if you wanted to make the car look like it had the dimmed High Beams, and you wanted to make this your self, you could get the relays, and also higher load resistors and make the beam dimmer... its kinda interesting what a handful of radio shack parts will get you.

On that note though, I am not sure which is worse for the bulb -- Being dimmed because of low power or being dimmed because of the oscillation that the GM module does.

Instead of using the high beams for DRL and potentially blinding others, how about using the low beams or the parking lamps like the new GM cars do?

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Instead of using the high beams for DRL and potentially blinding others, how about using the low beams or the parking lamps like the new GM cars do?

Running the high beams at half brightness during daytime blinds no one.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Sure it does. High beam DRLs at dawn or dusk or other lower-light conditions where normal headlights are not used are a nuisance. So much so that GM has decided to use parking-light DRLs in their newer cars.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

I think my 98, when I shift to drive, runs the standard headlights at half power. I never thought headlights in the daytime would be a good thing but when your looking in the direction of the sun, oncoming traffic w/ DRLs make them much easier to see. (especially in the rearview mirros when looking back into the sun.)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Does my 94 Seville have DRLs?

I won't drive with DRLs if I decide to keep it,

If someone is so blind that they need DRLs to see me coming I may as well do that impact dance with them before someone else has to.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

First, properly adjusted DRLs... like all headlights, blind no-one and have been documented to save lives, and reduce crashes, especially those involving pedestrians and small kids.

Right now DRL are not required by the DOT so each manufacture is on there own as to if they use them and which lights they choise to... light...

GM has used: Fog lights, parking lights, high beams (at about 50%) and low beams (at about 80%).

On my 90 Allante GM activated them though the BCM... I think my dad's 91 Toronado was the same way... If you go through the BCM you might find a "hack" to turn them on and and off...

There are lots out there who hate DRLs and there are more then a few web sites that document how to turn them off... Google "deactivate DRL" that or your service guide is bound to have the hack (if it exists)

But the studies show that you (and the kids in your neighborhood) are safer with them on.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived