CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Head gaskets 99sts

z10kl

I have a 99 STS with 107k miles. It had dealer repair on the gaskets and inserts at 53K miles. If it already has the inserts installed, what can be done now? Do they have larger inserts to repair again or is it something else? The car is hydrolocked now. Any advise appreciated. I called Caddy about the repair they did and they said if I took it to a caddy dealer and it was related to the repair they did they might would help me some with it. Any idea what they might do?

Several possibilities here.

Maybe they did not Time-Sert all 20 bolt holes. And one of the non-repaired bolt holes has failed.

If one of the Time-Serted bolt holes has failed (because the original repair was not performed properly), there is one more chance to repair using what are called Big-Serts.

Good luck to you dealing with whoever did the "repair".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It's unusual to hydrolock. Something extreme has to happen.

What is the history on the car? Has it been overheating? Losing coolant? Did it show low on coolant when it hydrolocked?

Have you done any testing on the car?

If it's hydrolocked you can pull the plugs and crank it over and it should spin over. You will get a spray of water out of one or more cylinders when it spins. Have you done that?

If it spins and you try starting it change the oil immediately. You will have coolant in it.

When removing the head bolts, they should produce an audible "Crack" or "Snap" sound. If they do, chances are the Timeserts are OK. Once the heads are off, you will be able to see the Timeserts. Make a drawing and note what bolts produced the snap sound and if you find one that doesn't make the crack sound, try re-torquing it to 22 ft-lbs and then 180* to see if it holds. Again, once the heads are off, you'll be able to see if all holes on both sides have been Timeserted.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The repair was done for the previous owner by a dealer in 'FL. I have a copy of all the work done> It says 20 inserts. Both head gaskets. and other misc. 53K mmiles . No charge.I bought the car at 82K miles 3 years ago. only has 107k now. I drive weekends some. very nice car. No other problems. I started to have to add coolant latley. then it started to have an occasional miss.I was getting ready to put plugs and wires on it and went to crank it and it made a noise like when you start one and it is already running. Busted the starter right off the bat. I took it to a friends garage and he called and said no. 4 cyl full of water. that was the one missing. The car has never ran hot as long as I have had it.

Hard to say why it failed again. As long as the head bolts make the audible snap sound when removing them, the integrity of the inserts should be OK.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Since it seems to have filled while sitting it should not have damaged the engine.

Spray oil or WD40 into the cyls to keep them from rusting and drain the oil.

Are you going to repair yourself?

When it comes apart you'll be able to determine what failed.

Archived