CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hub bearing assembly replacement

adallak

My left front hub bearing assembly lasted 130.000 mile, and the right one 150.000 miles. I replaced it today with Delco part. The tools one will need are T-55 and deep socket 36 mm. A breaker bar won't hurt either. If you do not have a special puller you can use two C-clamps and a piece of steel bar (see the picture). The noise pattern (louder while making a left turn, quiter while making a right one) indicated the right hub was bad. New one solved the problem. There is a common opinion that hub bearings should replaced in pairs. But as you see it took another 20.000 miles (and three years) for the second one to fail. A lot of things could happen to the car during that period of time, so that one would not even need the second hub bearing.

post-312-1158954694_thumb.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

A few months ago I replaced the left side hub assembly. The right side is still good at 211K. I'll replace the right side when it needs a new one. Besides, after all the prolbems I had getting the left hub off, I'm not in a rush to replace the right side.

My left front hub bearing assembly lasted 130.000 mile, and the right one 150.000 miles. I replaced it today with Delco part. The tools one will need are T-55 and deep socket 36 mm. A breaker bar won't hurt either. If you do not have a special puller you can use two C-clamps and a piece of steel bar (see the picture). The noise pattern (louder while making a left turn, quiter while making a right one) indicated the right hub was bad. New one solved the problem. There is a common opinion that hub bearings should replaced in pairs. But as you see it took another 20.000 miles (and three years) for the second one to fail. A lot of things could happen to the car during that period of time, so that one would not even need the second hub bearing.

adallak, Nice puller! I love it! You remind me of my Dad. He could fix anything with only what he had. There were no trips to Sears to get that "special" tool...ever! He would make do with the tools/parts he had and get the job done! It sometimes irritated me when I was young, but now that I'm older, and a little wiser, I've noticed he rubbed off on me quite a bit.

adallak, Nice puller! I love it! You remind me of my Dad. He could fix anything with only what he had. There were no trips to Sears to get that "special" tool...ever! He would make do with the tools/parts he had and get the job done! It sometimes irritated me when I was young, but now that I'm older, and a little wiser, I've noticed he rubbed off on me quite a bit.

Epricedright,

Your Dad is definitely my kind of man. Doing something (including fixing my Caddy) with minimum time, effort, equipment, parts, money and the way nobody has done or would do is pretty much my credo. Well, enough bragging! :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I like your dad.

Archived