CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEED HELP Coolant Leak

Cesarr956

Hey guys I need help. I have a leak somewhere in my system since it does not overheat when I drive (it actually cools down) but when I idle. What do you recommend that I do. The reason I say I have a leak is because my coolant lasts 7-10 days before I need to add more! ! ! What should I do?

Thanx, Cesar

The reason I say I have a leak is because my coolant lasts 7-10 days before I need to add more!

You are either leaking it or consuming it, one or the other. You could pressurize the cooling system and look for leaks (that may be evaporating before you see them) or do a cylinder pressure test to confirm or rule out a head gasket.

AFTER LOOKING FOR A LEAK IN MY 95 SLS COOLING SYSTEM SEVERAL TIMES, TODAY I FOUND IT. I REMOVED THE RADIATOR AND FOUND A 1" CRACK IN THE INTAKE TANK. THIS CRACK WAS ON THE FRONT SIDE DIRECTLY OPPOSITE THE HOSE INTAKE. MY GUESS IS HEAT CAUSED THIS CRACK TO OPEN WHEN DRIVING AND HEAT EVAPORATED THE LEAKED COOLANT LEAVING NO VISIBLE TRACE OF THE LEAK. I WAS LOOSING ABOUT 1GAL COOLANT EVERY 500-600 MILES. IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE THIS CRACK UNTIL RADIATOR WAS REMOVED.

I had a battery replaced and the mechanic left one of the screws loose in the brace over the battery between the frame and the radiator mount. The loose bolt was on the radiator mount, making that end of the brace a pivot. This likely causes the radiator mount to flex more than it should on hard cornering, or maneuvers like hitting my driveway at an angle at about 10 mph -- which I do every day at least once. I found it and a couple of other things like an air cleaner box that wasn't properly seated against the PCM while going over it a few weeks later, but the radiator developed a leak on the right side up at the top; apparently the tank was pulled away from the core and the rubber gasket was leaking. It eventually got bad enough for an occasional plume of steam, and that's how I found it. That's why I had a new radiator when I put my Jasper engine in about seven months later.

Note that 1998 and later Sevilles don't use the corner brace. All others 1992 or later should make sure that the braces are OK after non-dealer maintenance or I believe that you might risk radiator damage.

A much more common source of small hard-to-find leaks is the water pump. It's a throwaway part that is easily reached. Bruce will lend you the special tool for the cost of shipping.

Something else I noticed at about 100,000 miles -- the hose clamps on the radiator hoses tend to seep if they are left alone for years. You might look at your thermostat housing and see if you can see a coolant seep. If so, simply remove, clean, and put back your radiator hoses.

I had a bad motor mount for a period -- one of the torque links on the top of the engine. This beat up the metal heater hoses on the back of the motor and one of them developed a coolant seep. The sealant pellets probably kept that from being a problem but I found it and replaced them when I put in the Jasper engine.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived