CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NS 4.6 Waterpump

peduncan

I'm looking for some advice on the replacement of the waterpump on my 97 Eldo ETC. The car has 130K miles on it and there is coolant leaking on the drivers side which is coming from the waterpump. As far as I know the water pump has never been replaced. I have looked on Ebay and see that there are two routes I can go. One, buy only the insert, just the waterpump itself, and two, buy the kit which looks like it includes the insert, a gaskes, and what appears to be a housing. What route should I take? Buy the pump only or buy the kit? There seems to be a substancial difference in price and I don't want to buy something that I don't need nor do I want to buy something that won't fix the problem.

thanks

You might try www.rockauto.com

They are selling genuine A/C Delco waterpumps for under $40

Also use the code 469167431620 for an extra 10% off (expires Sep. 26). I just bought a bunch of parts from them this morning. Watch their shipping prices though. Add one item at a time and see how much the price increases. Sometimes all you have to do is switch to a different brand and the shipping doesn't increase. At first my shipping was $50 but switching some brands brought it down to $8.00.

Good Luck!!

IPB Image

You might try www.rockauto.com

They are selling genuine A/C Delco waterpumps for under $40

Also use the code 469167431620 for an extra 10% off (expires Sep. 26). I just bought a bunch of parts from them this morning. Watch their shipping prices though. Add one item at a time and see how much the price increases. Sometimes all you have to do is switch to a different brand and the shipping doesn't increase. At first my shipping was $50 but switching some brands brought it down to $8.00.

Good Luck!!

Good point Ed! I noticed that w/ rockauto as well. If you buy parts from them that are at different warehouses/locations, then the shipping might go up quite a bit. If you're not careful, you might pay an extra $5 in shipping for a $2 part. Like items seem to be warhoused at the same location though.

The crossover is indeed and big job, however the pump housing itself needs to come off anyway and the new design is recommended to help stop leaks in the future. When I had it done at the dealership they installed a nice new shiny housing with it.

Before I had the know how (or my beautiful service manual) that whole thing sounds difficult but reading threw those pages it isn't so bad :)

Looks like the thermostat removes from the housing, the housing removes from the crossover, the waterpump with the special socket then comes out of the crossover.

Put in new pump, put on new housing, put in new or old thermostat, and your all done.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived