CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OBD 1 Scanner or Code Reader

reverbman

I'm thinking of purchasing a scanner or code reader for my 94 Deville. My understanding is that a scanner will pick up intermittent problems while engine is running, whereas a code reader will extract info from onboard computer. If so, why purchase a code reader? Isn't this info available without purchasing a code reader? Any suggestions / guidance is much appreciated.

You do not need a code reader because one is already built in to your Caddy. Go to www.caddyinfo.com under the FAQ's and it will explain how to retrieve them. For your 94 Deville turn key on (engine off) then press and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate controls and watch codes to come up on your message center. If you do not know what the code is post it and you will get an answer. All the info you need is in the FAQ's. Save your money!!!

Paul is right. It's all built in on the Cadillac. Put that money towards a service manual and you'll be way ahead. It will tell you how to use the system, what the code means and how to go about diagnosing and repairing it.

Paul and Larry are right, of course, but there is more information available than codes, if you have the scan tool. At least that is true with the newer, OBD2 cars. Can you get an OBD1 scan tool that will let you query sensors and collect other information?

When you first enter the system, only stored codes will be displayed. C=current, H=historical. To get system status indicators I believe you will need to go further into the system and enter the PCM mode.

Archived