CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'90 DeVille battery problems or ???

cooperco

Hi there,

I'm new to Caddy world, but love the car. Am having some electrical problems and am hoping someone can help me pinpoint the issue.

Just inheirited a '90 DeVille from my dad's estate (it was a gov't auction car...!!! am wondering if the cash is in the spare tire!)

It was running great , my brother cleaned it up , put in new battery and alternator about 6 months ago."Was" is the operative word here, so here goes.

I never know if the battery is going to be dead when I go out to start the car.

I have noticed:

Clock stays illuminated after ignition is off.

Blower (or at least I think it's a blower) turns on when I turn off ignition and then turns off minutes later. This does not always happen.

Radio does not turn off when ignition is turned off. I have to remember to turn off manually. (Learned that the hard way) Manual says that radio is supposed to turn off with ignition.

I am thinking that all of thes problems have something to do with those modules I keep reading about on-line.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

I think your car has RAP (Retained Acessory Power), so the radio won't go off for :10 min. after key off or when the door is opened. Blower motor running after shut down may mean that the "Afterblow" mode is activated. Afterblow runs the blower periodicaly for the first hr. after shut down to dry out the evaporator to prevent mildew growth in hot humid climates. It can be deactivated.

I have similiar issues, so I will be interested to know what they say. I will post my own question so as not to hijack your thread.

Doesn't matter, if you are having similar problems I would like to know lots of alternatives.

I think your car has RAP (Retained Acessory Power), so the radio won't go off for :10 min. after key off or when the door is opened. Blower motor running after shut down may mean that the "Afterblow" mode is activated. Afterblow runs the blower periodicaly for the first hr. after shut down to dry out the evaporator to prevent mildew growth in hot humid climates. It can be deactivated.

Larry,

Can this afterblow be the cause of the battery drainage? Do you know how to deactivat it?

Unless someone has installed an afterblow module from GM, the blower should not be running when the ignition is turned off. The afterflow feature was not incorporated in the ACM until approximately 1996.

You really need a wiring diagram but I suspect a problem in the retained accessory power (RAP) module or the associated wiring.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived