CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Struts

cetheri

I finally got my new struts installed ('97 STS)!! I'd been putting it off because of the cost and I wanted to stick with the OEM part that works with the Electronic Ride Control. Well, I just recently ran into a very good old friend who just happens to be the manager of a local Midas store. I asked him what he would charge me to install the struts and to do the 4-wheel alignment - $49.95 per side and $59.95 for the alignment!!!! I said DONE!. I ordered the struts from gmpartsdirect immediately and called him when they came in. Well, long story short, I couldn't be happier. I spent 680.00 for the pair of struts (half what the dealer wanted) and saved nearly half on the labor - a whopping $173.00!! Still not a cheap job, but I got it done for around $900.00 total. The dealer wanted $1708.75 (insane!!)

Now the car handles wonderfully and that "Service Ride Control" mesage that's been staring me in the face for months is now history. Just wanted to share the experience with all of you. This is a great site. Thanks for all the great advice!

I was told that when you raise your cadillac completely off the ground there is a certain switch you must switch due to the electronic shocks. I was told it was the same on Lincolns. Does anyone have any input on this. I ask this because i was getting the service ride control light but i took my car to a local shop to have a tune up done. I told him of the service ride control light and how it started right after I had the alternator changed. He asked if the last mechanic had done something before raising it like you must on the Lincolns. Since the tune up which was over a week ago I no longer get the SRC message and the car is driving great. Again, any input on this would be great.

Burekv,

I believe you might be referring to the Traction Control switch. The manager at the Midas location mentioned in my previous post said that they had to turn off the traction control to replace the struts and do the alignment. However, I just checked my GM shop manual (the section on fron strut removal and replacement) and it makes no mention of this. This may be one of the best practices that automotive service technicians employ anytime they work on a modern automobile.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no "switch" or reason to do anything, when raising a Cadillac, of recent vintage, unlike Lincoln's. Sometimes a Caddy will give you a false code, when performing service on brakes, or suspension. I'll get heat from Guru on this, but I've seen it! Just disconnect the battery if it happens, it goes away!

I have had my 93' STS up a number of times and never had any TCS error codes.

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

We have been through this subject before. Lincoln has that switch but the Cadillac system is different and doesn't require it. Just jack it up and don't worry about it. If you are getting codes it isn't the jacking up that caused it.

• 3 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, I went to gmpartsdirect.com. I found NO struts listed?

I replaced my struts and shocks with OEM parts late last year and am very happy with the ride.

I bought the parts from gmparts direct and saved quite a bit compared to my local dealer's price.

There was some confusion over part numbers, however. It seems GM "cross-referenced" the parts to another number at some point so the part numbers were a little tricky to pin down.

You must be absolutely sure you have the right part numbers, though, because the struts and shocks are special order electrical parts and are not returnable!

I couldn't find them in gmpartsdirect's catalog so I E-mailed them and got help that way. I checked the part numbers with my local dealer twice. The first guy, after a long phone call to someone in GM's parts organization, came up with the wrong numbers. The second guy found the right numbers. After this confusion, I checked the numbers with another dealer, just to be sure. After getting confirmation from 3 sources, I ordered the parts from gmpartsdirect and I did get the right ones.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived