CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

quarter mile time

Ebby

has anybody got a quarter mile time for a stock '96 or '97 STS? Last fall, out of curiousity I made three passes ath the local track and the best I could get was 92 mph at 15.5 seconds. I thought the car was faster than that but you don't know until you get a time slip. Does anyone else have similar results?

Here's a chart with instrumented tests on factory test vehicles ran by various automotive magazines:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/northstar.html

The slowest there (a '93 STS and a '95 SLS) did 15.4 second quarters. A '97 STS did 15.3. The quickest ones (a '95 and a '96 STS) did it in 14.7. Performance will vary quite a bit depending on test conditions and vehicle tune. If your test track is at any significant elevation, did they correct the number back to sea level for you?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 3 weeks later...

Manually select 2nd, and do not shift, as long as you are in WOT conditions. Upshift once you are not in WOT conditions. You will be forcing the car to use the rev limiter. Under these conditions, you should turn a flat 15, or a high 14 second quarter, in a stock STS, given decent circumstances. The car WILL shift itself! This is the only way you will crack the 14 second barrier, in an otherwise stock STS. But you will.

Archived