CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange vibrations while in the left lane.

Marika

While driving down Route 17 this morning, I was in the left lane doing about 70 mph (and being passed by other cars as if I were standing still!). The road has a crown so of course, being in the right lane, the car would lean towards the passenger side and being in the left lane, the car would lean towards the driver side.

As I was traveling down the road, there are usually a few undulations on the road that make the suspension move the body of the car up and down mildly. During these undulations of the car body and while the body was in the bottom "down" position, I noticed an increased vibration in the gas pedal and the steering wheel as well as hearing an increase in what I'm guessing might be "road noise". "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" is the only way to describe it, though it was very mild.

I recently replaced the driver side front wheel bearing/hub assembly.

Any ideas as to what is causing this vibration?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

When the winter tires went on, the wheels were aligned. Whether the alignment is "out" already at this point I don't know but since the tires will be coming off "soon", once the crappy Michelins go back on, another alignment will be done.

I'm wondering if it's the CV joint or the axle making the noise.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Not sure on the noise but, why were you in the left lane if people were passing you?

I think the real question here is, why were they passing me if I was doing 70?????? LOL!!!! :lol:

If i read your post correctly your car was leaning slightly to the right, if so that would mean that the right hub assembly would have a slightly higher load on it because of the shift in weight.I would then suspect that the right hub assembly might be starting to wear and need replacement soon.

If i read your post correctly your car was leaning slightly to the right, if so that would mean that the right hub assembly would have a slightly higher load on it because of the shift in weight.I would then suspect that the right hub assembly might be starting to wear and need replacement soon.

Left lane, leaning to the left, which is the driver side.

Marika. Crappy Michelins? Come now. :angry:

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Marika. Crappy Michelins? Come now. :angry:

Michelins on the car NOW???

Hardly.

I have the Dunlop WINTER TIRES on the car. :lol::P

Hey, I live in Mahwah and drive on Rt 17 constantly. I have noticed that ever since the repaved the section of highway between the Garden State Plaza mall and the Ski Barn, the fast lane have always had a weird vibration to it. It comes and goes depending on where on that stretch of road you are. I get it in my 98 STS as well as just about every other car I have driven on that section of highway. (i.e. 98 BMW M3, 89 Volvo, and a 2001 GMC Yukon). I have felt the weird vibration at one time or another on Rt 17 and have come to believe it is due to falty paving since it was fine before it was repaved. For those of you who live in the area you probably know what I'm talking about, if you don't then it doensn't matter. I highly doubt that its your car, but the only sure way to tell is to look for it elsewhere on 17. Hope this helps :)

yep...that's it...it depends on the road surface, road crown and the car/tire combo. my wife's audi with the michelins is terrible on sections of i95...wanders all over the place...the caddy with goodyears is just fine, thank you...also, fwiw...the xgts are NOT what you want in snow...not much traction...though i suspect it's due more to the tires being excessively wide for use in the snow. jackg 90 seville 93k

Hi. New to the forum, and fairly new Seville owner. Mine is a 96 SLS with 80,000 miles and I have the same issue. It doesn't matter as to which road I am on, other than it is only notable at freeway speeds and higher, and only when the car has more pressure on the left side. It seems to increase and decrease depending on the pressure on the left front wheel. I am wondering if its the wheel bearing, or the halfshaft, but I am in the middle of a move, so this is taking a back seat for now.

My mechanic checked and didn't find anything. We'll check it again in about 1,500 miles to see if we find anything loosening up or wearing out.

Archived