CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump

Ebby

Can someone write how they changed out the water pump.I called my local dealer and he showed no replacement part that looked like a cartridge from the maintenance book.His picture showed a pump with the pulley attached to it.From what I have have read just the center cartridge can be changed using a special tool?Any help would be great. Thanks 97 sts

I got my waterpump from NAPA for about $65 made by Airtex the same as the OEM that the dealer has. The tool can be bought on Ebay for $20-25 maybe cheaper or you might find one to borrow or rent. When using the tool, remember to turn clockwise to remove and counter clockwise to install and seat. This is an easy fix. It will take 1 to 3 hours depending on your mechanical skills. I changed mine in my driveway in 2 hours start to clean up. Good Luck.

Yep. It's very easy.

1) Drain coolant. I elected to just remove the lower radiator hose at the thermostat housing and do it that way.

2) Remove water pump drive belt (1/4" ratchet on the tensioner to loosen it).

3) Remove water pump cover. Should be 4-5 bolts holding it on.

4) Use special tool to remove water pump cartridge. Righty-loosey and lefty-tighty for this one. It should "clock" and "unclock" only 10-15 degrees. This will be apparent when you look at the new cartridge and pump tool.

5) Making sure to align the small o-ring seal correctly, insert new cartridge and clock it into place.

6) Replace water pump cover (very little torque on those bolts) and repalce thermostat with a new one preferrably).

7) Toss a couple of the GM cooling system sealing tabs into the lower radiator hose before you replace it. Replace lower hose and refill the car with coolant slowly, through the pressurized surge tank.

8) Your car is a '97 model -- be sure to use DEX-COOL coolant.

This pump is incredibly easy to change. The first time I went in there (and the only time thus far), it took me an hour and a half, start to finish, working slow. Compare this to a full afternoon on a conventional design. Having been in there once before, it'd take less than an hour the next time I have to do it, if there is a next time.

Good luck, and let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jason, Looking in my service manual, it appears that the pulley and impeller stay in the housing that's attached to the engine? Do you get a new housing cover gasket with the water pump? From the poor pictures in the manual, I don't understand how the cartridge is attached to the pulley. Is the impeeler included with the new water pump? My car has 90.000 miles and just started leaking at the bottom of the pump after sitting for a month. Thanks.

Ebby,

Those pictures in the manual leave something to be disired. The pully comes attatched to the shaft and impeller. Basicaly you are just changing the impeller. There is a hole in the back of the housing that the pully goes thru and a seal attatched to the "pump" seals when you lock it in place. The "special tool" is a 3" socket with dovetailed teeth. You can see a picture of one I made here so you know what you are looking for. http://www.geocities.com/grandolfo

Jason, Looking in my service manual, it appears that the pulley and impeller stay in the housing that's attached to the engine? Do you get a new housing cover gasket with the water pump? From the poor pictures in the manual, I don't understand how the cartridge is attached to the pulley. Is the impeeler included with the new water pump?

The new water pump cartridge is the pulley, the shaft, the sealing/mounting surface, and the impeller. Once you release the belt from the pulley, and you remove the water pump cover, when you unclock the pump, the whole unit comes out, from the pulley to the impeller. It's all welded or bonded or whatever as one piece. When you purchase the new water pump, you'll quickly see what I'm talking about.

The new pump comes with a new o-ring. The "gasket" for the water pump cover housing is actually rubber, and sits in a recess in the cover. It's reusable...I reused mine. I did purchase a new gasket when I did it, and probably should have installed it. Although I never have any coolant drips, there's an area near the housing/cover mating surface that's slightly stained with orange, and I think the gasket weeped slightly here. But the addition of the coolant system supplement sealer took care of that "leak" though, and there's never been a problem since. I certainly don't plan to take everything back apart just to address that. But to catch all cases, go ahead and replace that housing seal while you're in there.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Buy a new impeller pulley belt as well, it would be a pain to do this at a later date. It is not easy to get out, but you will have to do it anyway to remove the cartridge. I would also recommend "seating" the o-ring in the machined groove with vaseline, to retain and moisturize it.

Archived