CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

rear brake caliper bolt

joeb

the top bolt on the rear caliper does not have external hex threads. if i take out the lower bolt, the caliper can pivot up to change the pads. pretty simple. but what if you want to remove the caliper? how does the top bolt come out?

The caliper hinges on that top bolt; just pivot the caliper up and off the rotor.

If you need to remove the rotor, the caliper mounting bracket has to be removed.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you want to remove the caliper, just pivot it up and then slide it inboard. You will pull the boot off and have to reseat it upon reinstalation. If you are going to remove the rotor, JimD covered that.

my pads are down to the wear indicators. do you need a special tool to turn the pistons to retract them?

There is a special tool called a 'cube', but I use a 11/16" or 3/4" open end / box end combination with a screwdriver through the box end for torque. Others say needlenose pliers will turn the piston.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

my pads are down to the wear indicators. do you need a special tool to turn the pistons to retract them?

The piston cylinders on the rear, screw back in. They do have a tool available at most auto supply stores to do this ( a brake square?) I have just used various long tool handles, to fit in the grooves, to screw them back in. Normally they turn easily. Be sure to screw them in completely or you will have trouble getting the new pads to slip in.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived