CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bumper Repair

Hey all, I just got this 92 eldo this past week, and my wife borrowed it for a minute and had a little exchange with a light pole. Some dumb *ss pulled out in front of her. I need to find out how I could possibly do the body repair work, as it is not that serious looking. The left side of the front bumper is pushed back, and the headlight assembly is broken. The bumper just has minimal damage (some cracks and paint residue). Of course, the chrome trim came off the top and broke. Is there some way to remove the bumper and reset it back to the way it was? Also, I need to locate a headlight assembly and turn signal assembly. I looked on ebay, but cant seem to find one. Anyone have any for sale? I want to try to restore this bumper back to normal as possile, since I spent almost all the money i had on buying it. I figure i'll repaint it and get the chrome trim at a later date. Also, I am needing some little parts for the car (ie: the latch that hooks to the grille to release the hood), if anyone is parting out a car of the same or one that is interchangeable holla at me.

dirtybird_31@yahoo.com

Thanks

as far as the bumper being pushed in on one side, we had the same problem on one of our deville's, used a piece of wood and breaker bar against the inside of the bumper, a few light hits with a rubber mallet and it snapped itself back into place....it just seemed to compress and get stuck there...

hope this helped

t

It might be a big repair, depends how fast the wife was going when she hit the light pole. Worst case you would have to replace the light assembly, reinforcement bar, bumber cover, and bumber shock. If you did it yourself it would run about $500 in parts. You might as well buy new lights from GM parts direct. They are about the same price as you would find on ebay.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

http://www.gmotors.com

http://www.car-part.com

Look at this thread. It talks about the rear bumper, but the rear comes off the same way the front does. The third post actually talks about taking the front off.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=948

I f you look at that message, go to the posts I did where I include a link to a PDF file that contains all nine pages from the 92 Seville/Eldorado manual. You will have to copy and paste the link directly into your browser, clicking on it in the message won't work. When you look at the nine pages of information, you will see exactly how it's done for BOTH bumpers.

REMEMBER, YOU WILL HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER, IT WON'T WORK IF YOU CLICK ON IT.

This is the link, remember, don't click on it, COPY it into your browser.

http://www.geocities.com/girlperson2/1992s...radobumpers.pdf

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I got under the car today, and got a closer look at everything. I know the headlamp assembly and turn signal need replacing. Thats a given. But the bumper cover and everything, that another story. My bumper is just canted in, not broken. There is just some paint rubbed up on the front. I think I could just buff that off, or use a little rubbing compound to get it off. What it looks like to me is that the bumper "shock" is stuck collapsed. I tried to pull it out and pry it out and it budged about 1 inch. I read the bumper removal pages and saw that I could just drill a small hole in the bumper shock cylinder to relieve gas pressure. Would that make me be able to pull it out the rest of the way? And how safe is that actually? I mean with driving and all. If there is no gas in the cylinder, wouldn't my bumper just cave right back in very easily? If it's safe to do, I would just rather drill the hole and relieve the pressure. Then I could reset the bumper to normal and just replace the bumper "shock" when I have some extra cash. I found, what I believe is, the right part on a parts site for $30. Is that about right? I thank y'all so much for the input. It's good to have some Caddy experts on here...

What do you need help with? Did you download the Service Manual pages that I posted? They are very indepth and will help you understand what you are looking at under the car and what the procedure is for fixing what's broke.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

A few pointers:

Once you drill that shock, you will have to replace it. Period.

Pulling out the bumper can be accomplished without drilling the shock but it requires either very strong arms or good hydraulic equipment strong enough to pull it out; this type of equipment is commonly found at auto body shops and some mechanics.

Archived