CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can't fix it

Ed Fenwick

Aloha,

I guess that my '92 can't be fixed. There is no good way to repair a stripped head bolt in a 4.9 engine. The car will be towed to a junk yard on Monday unles any of you are on Oahu and want it at any price. I have enjoyed it for 2.5 years, I hope that the next one is better.

Thanks guys Ed

It's hard when repairs are high in labor and you can't do it yourself.

On the bright side, shopping for a new/newr car is one of my favorite parts. I guess there is a smaller market in Hawaii though.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Just buy an extra long drill bit and re-tap without removing the head. Go to Sears, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Internet, etc. One of them will have the right bit size you need in conjunction with the tap size. Then buy a “long series” tap which means the overall length of the tap will be longer than average. You can buy a tap that is up to about 12 inches long so you don’t have to remove the head. The link below will bring to a site where you can buy taps. This looks like a possible alternative to junking the car. I've never done it but I would certainly give it a try before I junked my Eldo.

Widell Industries, Inc. (Florida)

(Toll Free Phone: 1-800-237-5963)

Widell Welcome Page:

http://www.widell.com/index.html

Widell Long Series Taps Page:

http://www.widell.com/longseries.htm

Widell Available Taps Page:

http://www.widell.com/taps.html

I don't believe that there is no way to repair the thread hole. The 4.9 is the same from '91-'95 so someone (Scotty?) should be able to post the repair procedure from the factory service manual.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Oh its there, but I get the impression that this mechanic will not perform the repair. I will post it, if Ed wants. I think the mechanic feels that once the first heli pulled out, the does not want to go to the next size.. Maybe a head bolt is not available in the next size?

Aloha,

Thanks again Scotty, you are always there when we need help. For sure there is always a way to fix anything. The thing here is that these guys don't want to fix problems they want to replace parts. That is much easier for them. I don't have the bill yet but my friend has spent maybe $1000. so far. If I tow the car to another shop and have them fix the basket case the cost is too much for the car.

I am realy sad because I get attached to my cars, but I will just get transportation until I find work.

Thanks to all for your input, God bless Ed

Hi Scotty

The head bolt would stay the same the outer diameter of the insert would be larger the inner diameter of the insert would be same as the head bolt.

Jim

Ed

Too bad they can't fix your car Sometimes the cost of the repair out weighs the value of the car.

Good Luck

You too Ed!

I know how you feel about getting attached. Hope to see you back soon with a Northstar STS of some vintage. If you like the 4.9 as I like the 4.9, you will be in heaven with a Northstar. If there is any way I can help you, let me know. Maybe we can find a way to ship you a 97 STS Creampuff so you can tear up those mountains! Mike

Hi Scotty

The head bolt would stay the same the outer diameter of the insert would be larger the inner diameter of the insert would be same as the head bolt.

Jim

Ed

Too bad they can't fix your car Sometimes the cost of the repair out weighs the value of the car.

Good Luck

Jim, I didn't know that heli-coils could have different exterior and interior dimensions, I thought that a heli-coil fit in the threads tightly. Therefore, if the dimension of the threaded hole got bigger, the size of the bolt increased. Mike

Archived