CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Regular ACDelco R45LTS6 Plugs

adallak

Yesterday I replaced what appeared to be original Delco non-platinum spark plugs on my 4.9. I have measured the gap and it was 0.075 instead of original 0.060. The breakdown voltage in the area of gas densities typical for a combustion chamber should be fairly linear which means the threshold voltage should have increased by some 25%. Looks like that increase was within abilities of coils since the engine ran very well with original spark plugs. Just some "experimental data" for those who is interested.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You are saying that you increased the gap because of not using platinum plugs? Personally I would have kept it the same, lets see that others have to say, .075 is large enough to drive a truck through it, I can't imagine that its helping your gas mileage or quickness at all. It must run like a dog! I don't think I have ever seen such a large gap. Can you explain why you increased the gap in more detail? I'm confused :blink:

You are saying that you increased the gap because of not using platinum plugs? Personally I would have kept it the same, lets see that others have to say, .075 is large enough to drive a truck through it, I can't imagine that its helping your gas mileage or quickness at all. It must run like a dog! I don't think I have ever seen such a large gap. Can you explain why you increased the gap in more detail? I'm confused

Scotty, I did not increase anything the Caddy did in 13 years and 140.000 miles :D

Adallak, how does it run now with the new plugs, .075 is huge it must be really snappy now with the new plugs at .060! Mike

Mike, I did not notice any change in the performance. Frankly, I was just curious about the history of the plugs on my car. Besides, I have never done plug job before, so I decided to go ahead and change them. Still have all those scratches on my both hands :lol:

Adallak, how does it run now with the new plugs, .075 is huge it must be really snappy now with the new plugs at .060! Mike

Mike, I did not notice any change in the performance. Frankly, I was just curious about the history of the plugs on my car. Besides, I have never done plug job before, so I decided to go ahead and change them. Still have all those scratches on my both hands :lol:

I believe it, that is why I said to wear gloves, I got ripped to shreads when I did mine. I am surprised you dont feel a difference, maybe your gas mileage will be better.

Now its time to get on that heater core! :lol:

I believe it, that is why I said to wear gloves, I got ripped to shreads when I did mine. I am surprised you dont feel a difference, maybe your gas mileage will be better.

Mike, I drove to Rochester, NY (460 miles round-trip) two days ago for a conference and the average fuel economy was 26.5 with OLD ORIGINAL SPARK PLUGS!

Now its time to get on that heater core!

I replaced the heater core today, so don't need a balls defroster anymore! :lol:

26.5 MPG with .075 plugs! OMG, you must drive like an ole lady! Terrific you did your heater core! Heat for the winter...... 

PS, did you use the cooling system supplement?

:D 230 miles in 3.5 hours. It does not sound like old lady to me ( 45-50 mph on back roads and 75-80 on high ways).

26.5 MPG with .075 plugs! OMG, you must drive like an ole lady! Terrific you did your heater core! Heat for the winter...... 

:D 230 miles in 3.5 hours. It does not sound like old lady to me ( 45-50 mph on back roads and 75-80 on high ways).

That is incredible, especially with old plugs, do you have dilithium crystals and warp engines in that baby?! :o My gas mileage was never that good. Was the trip downhill in both directions? :blink: Maybe your tires were pumped up to 50 pounds? :lol:

QUOTE (adallak @ Oct 15 2004, 11:03 PM)

230 miles in 3.5 hours. It does not sound like old lady to me ( 45-50 mph on back roads and 75-80 on high ways). 

That is incredible, especially with old plugs, do you have dilithium crystals and warp engines in that baby?!  My gas mileage was never that good. Was the trip downhill in both directions?  Maybe your tires were pumped up to 50 pounds? 

:lol: you forgot to mention the wind :P I believe the "secret" is that the tires are pretty close to safety indicators, the pressure was 32 psi when cold, and I use 89 not premium anymore, the oil was Valvoline Min-Life 10w-30

Mike, FYI, some engines from the 1970s and 1980s had spark plug gaps of .080" from the factory, like the Oldsmobile V8s. I had to buy a "special" AC plug for that car, with an extended tip, to allow for the longer gap. R46SX if I recall correctly...the "X" meaning eXtended tip.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived