CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Received an answer back on the Oil Testing.

Marika

I just received the following voice mail message at my home telephone. I've transcribed it so everyone can read it.

"Hi Marika, This is Billy Cunningham with Blackstone Oil Testing in Indiana. I was calling in regards to your oil sample from your '92 Cadillac and unfortunately it's bad news. It's got a lot of antifreeze contamination and that indicates a leak somewhere in the engine that is allowing the antifreeze to mix in with the oil and consequently it's hurting the bearing wear which is pretty important. You have to have good wearing bearings or else you can have real problems. We're going to be E-mailing this report to you tonight. I would suggest that once you have the problem repaired the engine should be able to recover."

Once I get the report I'll scan it and post it here for everyone to see.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Ok, here's the actual report.

OilReports.jpg

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Sorry to hear the news, but at least you are confident that there is a problem. This was good for the board to see, unfortunately its bad news for you. What are you planning to do?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Read my answer under the 19th Hole category Mike.

The interesting thing about this situation is that the car was having a problem of overheating, I spent around $3,500 at the Brogan Cadillac Dealership to repair this mess, the mechanic at Brogan SWORE high and low that he tested the engine for antifreeze leaking and that there was NONE yet here the oil studies clearly show that the engine is in fact taking on antifreeze in the oil. :fighting0025: <--- this is me bashing the Brogan mechanic on the head.

maybe when the mechanic tested the oil it was not leaking antifreeze. in hindsight you probably always had a coolant leak but i seem to recall your overheating issue was always intermittent. problems that come and go are the hardest to fix.

maybe when the mechanic tested the oil it was not leaking antifreeze. in hindsight you probably always had a coolant leak but i seem to recall your overheating issue was always intermittent. problems that come and go are the hardest to fix.

The mechanic never tested the oil. He pressure tested the system over and over according to him and found nothing.

The mechanic never tested the oil. He pressure tested the system over and over according to him and found nothing.

Lets get something straight, I recommended that you test the oil. Brogan would NEVER EVER test the oil it takes WAY too long AS YOU CAN SEE, they tested the coolant for by-products. Plus they pressure tested your cooling system. You undoubtedly have a problem with your cylinder sleeves leaking due to the age of your engine, its a shame, but you would need a remanufactured engine at this point your engine is toast.

I DO NOT think that Brogan did anything wrong, they tested the engine along with Richters and neither firm found anything wrong. Will I realize this who mess cost you a lot of money, I do not think they did anything illicit.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Lets get something straight, I recommended that you test the oil. Brogan would NEVER EVER test the oil it takes WAY too long AS YOU CAN SEE, they tested the coolant for by-products. Plus they pressure tested your cooling system. You undoubtedly have a problem with your cylinder sleeves leaking due to the age of your engine, its a shame, but you would need a remanufactured engine at this point your engine is toast.

I DO NOT think that Brogan did anything wrong, they tested the engine along with Richters and neither firm found anything wrong. Will I realize this who mess cost you a lot of money, I do not think they did anything illicit.

Yes, you were the one that told me to test the oil and you were the one who told me about blackstone-labs and I thank you for that information because the results of that test have confirmed what I've suspected but I could never get confirmation from any mechanic. Too bad the mechanics don't bother using blackstone-labs, you know they do have overnight testing services as well for extra money of course but it's worth it if it points the vehicle owner and the mechanic in the right direction of where the engine problem is and what needs to be done. The old saying is true, "had I known then what I know now........"

I'm also not saying that Brogan or Richters did anything wrong or illicit. I believe in Karma and IF they did something wrong or illicit it will come back to bite them on their a$$. It just seems "discouraging" when you realize that the folks who should know best about a car also turn out knowing the least. I spent in total, approximately $14,000 (that's fourteen thousand dollars) on that car and I've had a few good times with it overall but the frustrations of dealing with mechanics and dealership has really turned me off. These people make top dollar, they also had enough time to work with the car (Brogan had the car for several weeks) and yet they still missed the most obvious problem.

Strangely, the car passed inspection so at least I was spared the hassle of having to pay for more repairs.

It is a shame, and this experience could have highlighted the potential for coolant to get into the oil, and a pressure test NOT show that there is a cooling system breach, this could possibly be caused by the cooling supplement breaching then sealing.

The use of Blackstone was originally considered by ME for OIL ANALYSIS to determine the accuracy of the OLM now with the reduced ZINC in current oils, and it has been used by Bob is the Oil Guy people for oil analysis, to determine oil life and bearing/engine wear.

The analysis that you had done is cutting edge, and possibly beyond the capability of a normal shop, given that they probably assume that IF the cooling system holds pressure, all is OK.........and we have found out that is NOT true all of the time.

I am glad you are picking up a new car, and getting rid of this money pit. The reason the cooling supplement was developed was to prevent internal leaks in the 4.9 that you have.. Good Luck with the new car, I am happy for you.

It is a shame, and this experience could have highlighted the potential for coolant to get into the oil, and a pressure test NOT show that there is a cooling system breach, this could possibly be caused by the cooling supplement breaching then sealing.

The use of Blackstone was originally considered by ME for OIL ANALYSIS to determine the accuracy of the OLM now with the reduced ZINC in current oils, and it has been used by Bob is the Oil Guy people for oil analysis, to determine oil life and bearing/engine wear.

The analysis that you had done is cutting edge, and possibly beyond the capability of a normal shop, given that they probably assume that IF the cooling system holds pressure, all is OK.........and we have found out that is NOT true all of the time.

I am glad you are picking up a new car, and getting rid of this money pit. The reason the cooling supplement was developed was to prevent internal leaks in the 4.9 that you have.. Good Luck with the new car, I am happy for you.

I'd hate to just send this car to a junk yard, there are so many new parts installed. I would be willing to give it to anyone on Caddyinfo.com for free, you would just be responsible to pick it up and you MUST transfer the title into your name. Who knows, maybe someone on Caddyinfo.com has the time and a bit of money to pull the engine and fix the car. It would be nice to see this old dog keep rolling along.

I felt the same way about my 91, but sometimes you need to cut it loose. Try advertising it someplace FREE car many new parts needs engine replacement...

Archived