CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Code 84 on 94 STS

letitbe133

The Ride Control system adjusts the firmness of the struts (front) and shocks (rear) based on a variety of factors including speed and vehicle dynamics.

That way your STS can have both smooth low speed and agile high speed performance.

The error message means that the Ride Control system is not responding in the expected manner. This can be caused by wear / mileage, cold weather and slow response times, or an electronic or electrical issue in the connection between the strut/shock and the PCM.

On many cars of this period owners choose to replace the struts/shocks with 'passive' ones, which are much less expensive. In some cases the original equipment struts/shocks are no longer available.

One thing to try is with the car off, 'bounce' the front end and the back end of the car up and down in turn several times by pushing down with your weight, and then releasing. Sometimes this can help loosen up struts/shocks if they are binding.

There are specific diagnostics in the shop manual to help you diagnose further. The Shop manual is the Helm's Manual http://www.helminc.com but runs approx $130. Often you can find used copies less expensively on Ebay.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Numbers displayed with driver messages indicates the IPC has been configured into export mode. The US service manual does not really provide information about the export codes.

There are 2 different ride control systems. Also 2 engine options.

The IPC can be configured into US mode pretty easily by changing the IPC option IS08. Normal US configuation for IS08 is '8' with RSS and '0' with CCR.

Chances are the current IPC setting for IS08 is 128 for 'French / Canadian' display or 64 for 'European Community.'

Being a '94 STS. I bet it has the 4.6 NS and the more complicated RSS suspension.

I would suggest the IS08 setting be adjusted to 8. Then the IPC diagnostics will match the US service manual.

Ok Bruce, I'll try the bouncing stuff and see what happens next.

In case my strut/shock need replacement, would u advise me to choose the passive ones, and in that case what could be the conseuences on dynamics?

The Ride Control system adjusts the firmness of the struts (front) and shocks (rear) based on a variety of factors including speed and vehicle dynamics.

That way your STS can have both smooth low speed and agile high speed performance.

The error message means that the Ride Control system is not responding in the expected manner. This can be caused by wear / mileage, cold weather and slow response times, or an electronic or electrical issue in the connection between the strut/shock and the PCM.

On many cars of this period owners choose to replace the struts/shocks with 'passive' ones, which are much less expensive. In some cases the original equipment struts/shocks are no longer available.

One thing to try is with the car off, 'bounce' the front end and the back end of the car up and down in turn several times by pushing down with your weight, and then releasing. Sometimes this can help loosen up struts/shocks if they are binding.

There are specific diagnostics in the shop manual to help you diagnose further. The Shop manual is the Helm's Manual http://www.helminc.com but runs approx $130. Often you can find used copies less expensively on Ebay.

Thanks Logan,

But how do I change this setting?

Numbers displayed with driver messages indicates the IPC has been configured into export mode. The US service manual does not really provide information about the export codes.

There are 2 different ride control systems. Also 2 engine options.

The IPC can be configured into US mode pretty easily by changing the IPC option IS08. Normal US configuation for IS08 is '8' with RSS and '0' with CCR.

Chances are the current IPC setting for IS08 is 128 for 'French / Canadian' display or 64 for 'European Community.'

Being a '94 STS. I bet it has the 4.6 NS and the more complicated RSS suspension.

I would suggest the IS08 setting be adjusted to 8. Then the IPC diagnostics will match the US service manual.

I was hoping someone would chime in with the procedure. It's been 6 years since I had one. I've forgotten the procedure.

Press and hold the HVAC 'off' and 'warmer' for about 5 seconds. The IPC will go into diagnostics. Then you use the fan speed 'hi/lo' switch as a 'yes/ no' switch. I think your looking for IPC Inputs.

Ok, I'll try this and switch to US setting.

Thanks Logan

I was hoping someone would chime in with the procedure. It's been 6 years since I had one. I've forgotten the procedure.

Press and hold the HVAC 'off' and 'warmer' for about 5 seconds. The IPC will go into diagnostics. Then you use the fan speed 'hi/lo' switch as a 'yes/ no' switch. I think your looking for IPC Inputs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Logan,

I managed to recover the codes from the Cad. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to switch to US settings :-(

Anyway, here are the codes I could pull :

P052

P071

P091

P109

S036

S044

S061

All are history codes, no current codes displayed.

Any idea what they are related to, and maybe where I can find their meaning?

Thanks

Ok, I'll try this and switch to US setting.

Thanks Logan

I tried bouncing the car and it worked all right, no more 84 on the display.

Thanks for help

Archived