CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

code p039 1995 cadillac deville 4.9 4t60e

jay199227

Hi,

I have a 1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with a 4.9 engine and 4t60e transmission. I bought the car from my boss in 2003 with 65k. It has been a good car. It now has 157k. A few months ago the car left me stranded on the hwy due to the transmission going out on it. I had the transmission rebuilt at a ASE certified transmission shop and the transmission is still under warranty.

I have never had the service engine soon light come on in it before until a few weeks ago. I checked the code and it was p039. I took it back to the transmission shop and they said they found something unplugged. I picked the car up only to have the light come on agian. So I took it back again. This time they said they opened the transmission side cover up and adjusted the throttle. So I picked it back up yet again only to have the light come on a week later. It is rare that the light comes on. But when it does come on it is always code p039 and it is always on the interstate after driving 20 miles or so.

I am quite tired of taking it back to the shop. The trans is under warranty for a year. Should I keep driving it like it is? It shifts and runs great like it is. Gas mileage is better than before I had it rebuilt. It could not shift smoother than it does now.

Any responses are greatly appreciated as I am at a loss for words on what to do.

Jay

P039 (E039) ..... Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

This is major. It means that the lock-in of the torque converter in 3rd or 4th gear at light throttle over 39 mph is dropping out occasionally. It will drive just fine but it will almost certainly get worse, and when the lock-in drops out all the time you will give up about 1 mpg. Thus your fuel economy will soon show a relapse if this problem becomes chronic -- i.e. if the code starts reading Current instead of History.

If this was an older car, either a simple electrical problem or solenoid could be the culprit, or you would likely need a transmission rebuild. In a rebuild, this is an ominous sign. Others more familiar with transmission problems than myself will have more specific things to say.

I suggest that you go back to the transmission shop and ask for a quiet talk with the manager. Tell him that you know what the code is and what it means in terms of interpreting the transmission's health, and that it may mean that the transmission will have to be re-done if they can't clear it. If they can't clear the code, insist that they re-do the transmission.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

They think it might be a computer problem . . . . . .

I can understand why they would *WANT* to believe that, but they are almost certainly wrong. Or BS-ing you.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It's a transmission problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It's a transmission problem.

Yeah, that's what I meant . . . .

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If you end up being stuck with this transmission, or end up having the problem again, you can reduce the effects of the tcc not locking up by not using synthetic trans fluid. Cheaper trans fuilds seem to work better in transmission showing the po39 code. synthetic fluids, or fuilds with a lot of additives ie valvoline max life seem to work poorly.

Hey guys,

I talked with the transmission shop today. They think now my problem was with a shorted wire from my transmission to my pcm. They are replacing it today, they have had the car since Monday trying to pinpoint the problem. I hope this is my fix.

Hey guys,

I talked with the transmission shop today. They think now my problem was with a shorted wire from my transmission to my pcm. They are replacing it today, they have had the car since Monday trying to pinpoint the problem. I hope this is my fix.

Hey Guys,

Well they finally got it fixed right this time. It was not the wiring to the pcm though like they thought it was the torque converter itslef. I am just glad it is fixed. Thanks for the info guys it was a great help!!!!!

Jay

Are we to assume they replaced the torque converter? If so, that must have been a very hard bullet for them to have chomped on.

I hope you're good-to-go for many miles. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived