CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power seats/horn not working

Good morning from wintry Ma. I have a 99 Deville which was in the family since new. My wife's father inherited it after his mom passed in 02. It has 43,000 original miles and I've been driving it on and off for the past 5 yrs or so as a backup car. Just recently both power seats and the horn are not working. I read the owners manual and located the circuit breaker/maxi fuse under the hood on the drivers side. I took it out, it was/is very hot and tested it with an ohmmeter and a test light across a car battery, it was good. when i took the fuse out the first time and reconnected it i saw a spark. thinking it just needed a better contact, i started the car and the seats moved again and the horn worked. Then nothing again. Is the horn really on the same circuit as the seats? Could something be stuck causing the fuse to get hot? i would love to fix this myself as our business is shut down for the winter here and $ is tight. Hate to bring it to the local caddy dealer. thanks for reading this, love to hear some suggestions. Doug

The horn and seats are on the same 30a circuit breaker - nothing else on it.

There is a horn relay in the relay center.

I have the electrical schematic but can't figure out how to post it.

OK now were getting somewhere. thanks for the responses so far. yes on my 99 the horn and seat are on the same 30A circuit breaker/fuse. Eric should i turn my attention to the horn relay? Is this something do you know if a backyard mechanic can tackle? there must be a load of some kind going directly to the fuse holder as i mentioned B4 that i did see a spark when I put the fuse back in the first time. thanks Doug

could be a stuck horn relay.

Also may be a pinched connection under one of the seats. I have seen some with the harnesses run inproperly under the seat instead of through the track.

You could also unpluh the connnectors under the seats one at a time. If you only have base power seats there should be only 1 plug under each seat to unplug. If you have memory function you will have 3 plugs on the driver seat. Also if you have heated seats you will have either a second plug under the passenger seat.

If it were me I would start with pulling the horn relay and monitoring the breaker.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

could be a stuck horn relay.

Also may be a pinched connection under one of the seats. I have seen some with the harnesses run inproperly under the seat instead of through the track.

You could also unpluh the connnectors under the seats one at a time. If you only have base power seats there should be only 1 plug under each seat to unplug. If you have memory function you will have 3 plugs on the driver seat. Also if you have heated seats you will have either a second plug under the passenger seat.

If it were me I would start with pulling the horn relay and monitoring the breaker.

Thanks rockfangd. I'm not used to wrenching around GM cars, so where is the horn relay/ Could it be under the hood by the circuit breakers? Not sure what you mean by base seats but I have the controls on the door panels, memory, and both seats are heated. If I pull the horn relay should I assume that the breaker will monitor just the seats? Thanks, Doug

The horn relay is not in the seat circuit. It is located in the relay center which is by the circuit breakers. The window and horn relays are both 30A so you could try the window relay in the horn socket.

It appears that rockfangd means seats without memory function when referring to base seats.

The horn relay is not in the seat circuit. It is located in the relay center which is by the circuit breakers. The window and horn relays are both 30A so you could try the window relay in the horn socket.

It appears that rockfangd means seats without memory function when referring to base seats.

thank you youu are correct.

You do not have base seats.

you should have 2 plugs under the driver seat and one under the passenger seat. the horn relay should be in the underhood electrical center and if stuck may very well be warm.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived