CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 deville left rear door dead

I have a 2000 Deville that lost power to driver side rear door. The window quit working then about a month later lost power to the locks and it was just dead. I figured it was the door module or fuse. There is only one fuse for both rear doors labeled right rear door which is a bit misleading to say the least, but that didn't fix it so I swapped the door modules out with each other because the right side always worked, that didn't work either. I took my meter out and noticed power was not getting into the door. I then took out the wire harness that leads from the door module to the one from the door to inside the pillar and did a continuity test on what looked like the power wires (orange and black) and it was dead. I tried some other wires in the harness and they were ok so I took the boot off and lo and behold I had three wires cut and a fourth on its way! Did some really hoky soldering and it works. Just wanted to put my findings here for future deville owners :D . I uploaded the pic of broken wires on the pillar harness.

thanks,

koushka

post-5286-131321168335_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have 04 Deville. The window regulators, motors and the door modules have been a problem since I bought the car. Within a week of buying the card the passenger back regulator broke. A year later the other side went out. Six months later the motor went out, or so I thought. So this week the window goes down and won't come back up - regulator again. Put it in and it still won't work. New motor - still won't work. Did a Google search and found others having problems with not the module but a broken wire. Sure enough, pulling back the rubber cover of the wires that feed from the frame of the car into the door, I found a broken wire. On the frame of the car there is a set of connectors which has a 10 gauge black wire (very rigid). This is the wire that usually breaks, as far as I can tell from my research. I soldered the wires back together since the break was so far down that splicing was not an option. Its working fine. The moral of the story is test things before you go and waste money. BTW, I can't understand why GM would design it this way.

BTW, I can't understand why GM would design it this way.

So how do you expect GM to get power to the door - wireless transmission? Magic?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

BTW, I can't understand why GM would design it this way.

So how do you expect GM to get power to the door - wireless transmission? Magic?

I just about fell outa my chair when I read that response! That would be AWESOME but no doubt expensive!!

By the way ryannayr the other car manufacturers are having the same broken wire in harness to the door. I have repaired a jeep and a mustang for same.

they have been doing this for years. Sometimes certain cars have problems. I think it has to do with wire quality. I rarely run into this issue. Never had a car of mine do it. Thanks for posting though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 years later...

I put a splice on mine without removing the wire. If yours is broken too close to the door, you should be able to remove the door panel and unhook the wires from speaker/window etc..to get a little slack for repair work. If too close to the pillar, I couldn't say how to get slack in the wires from that direction.

• 2 months later...

Archived