CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT

Hello,

yesterday the yellow traction control light that is under the fuel gauge came on for no reason, i shut the car down, re-started the light comes back on within 30 seconds after started. what is going on?????????

the car is a 2002 seville sls. I dont know crap about these cars.

thank you so much

john

The first lesson about these cars is how to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Here's how;

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

For example, you might see this "ABS C1263". The C1263 is the important part; the ABS part is the specific module.

Display your codes and pay attention to the "C" codes. Post your "C" codes here.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I ran the test, i got a C1294 history code.

can you please tell me what that is?

how to fix it?

i just found what C1294 is, Brake Lamp Switch Circuit Always Active.

what in the hell does that mean????????? if i cleared the code, will the traction control light go off????

thank you very much!

I ran the test, i got a C1294 history code.

can you please tell me what that is?

how to fix it?

i just found what C1294 is, Brake Lamp Switch Circuit Always Active.

what in the hell does that mean????????? if i cleared the code, will the traction control light go off????

thank you very much!

It´s time to change the rear brake light bulbs :)

i would like to fix what I have, i forgot to mention that whe the yellow traction control light is on, the button on the console seems like it is disabled, is that normal?

thank you for your help,

john

When you toggle the TRAC ON/OFF button, you should see the TRACTION OFF and the TRACTION READY messages appear on the DIC.

If not, there could be other "C" codes lurking in the diagnostics. Or, some previous owner (?) has modified the function of the TRAC ON/OFF switch for some reason.

Try clearing all the codes and starting with a clean slate.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

yes, it did display traction off, traction ready prior to the light coming on, when the light is on, the console button does not work at all.

I will clear all codes and see what happens.

thanks

what in the hell does that have to do with the traction control???????????????

are you kidding me??????????

I'm not kidding you. If both your rear brake light bulbs are out then you won't be able to use your cruise control and the TC light will turn on, eventually you may see a "Service electrical system" This I believe is a safety precaution in case of faults with the brake light switch (goes on the same circuit)

Have someone watch your brake lights when your applying the brakes. If only the high mount stop lamp lights up then you've found the fault.

I had just the same problem a couple of days ago!

you people are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

I cleared the codes before i left work to come home, the TC light out, on the way home the "Service electrical system came on, i felt as though i was going to be sick!

When i got home, I found out that i had no brake lights except the high mount on the trunk, I removed the brake light bulbs, both appeared to be blown, (not sure how that suddenly happened!) I replaced the bulbs, checked the codes, everything is working.

I spent 10 minutes and $5.00

If it wasnt for you and this forum, i would have taken the car to the dealer, and wasted a bunch of money.

thank you again,

John

I bought two bulbs but replaced only one first to check how the system works. It is enough with just one bulb to make the system work as it is supposed to.

This means that BOTH the bulbs needs to go south before the warnings become active (they must be serial connected and that circuit must be parallell to the high mount stop lamp). Im used to back up against a wall to check the brakeligths. Guess that the high mount stop lamp have fooled me believe that the bulbs worked too :D

Glad it all worked out!

• 3 months later...

I'm not kidding you. If both your rear brake light bulbs are out then you won't be able to use your cruise control and the TC light will turn on, eventually you may see a "Service electrical system" This I believe is a safety precaution in case of faults with the brake light switch (goes on the same circuit)

Have someone watch your brake lights when your applying the brakes. If only the high mount stop lamp lights up then you've found the fault.

:rolleyes:

Unbelievable; I had exactly the same problem: no cruise,light on. Sure enough rear brake bulbs were out! I replaced and it was like magic.TY

Reading this post reminded me of when I had my 2000 deville, for some reason when the light were on(at night time, not the daytime running lights), and I put on a turn signal in either direction, my traction light would come on. If i shut off my engine and restarted it the light would be off until I put my turn signal on again. VERY STRANGE

Archived