CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Another question about AC and compressor

jlinde

I have a 93 Eldorado where the 'Low Refrigerent' message shows up now and then.

It has the old R12 and as there is no R12 to find in Sweden where I live so I have to convert to R134.

I can see some oil around the compressor - coming through the clutch so probably the seal is leaking.

I am going to replace the dryer with a new one as well as all possible reachable O-rings for R134.

But I have a question about the compressor (car has 46000 miles on it) - is it possible to change

the seal with a good result (price around $45) or should I buy a new compressor ($245 to 400)?

It seems quite simple to replace the seal when I read the shop manual but how is it in reality?

Thanks/ Jan L.

If you have the tools to do it yourself, it is a fairly straightforward job. If you have to hire it done, you will have a lot of trouble finding a tech that doesn't want to just replace the compressor.

If the oil/grease is just at the front hub and not all over the compressor body, it is probably a shaft seal. I would recommend a leak check first to positively identify the source of the leak. If it is just the shaft seal, use the GM double lip seal - it will seal much better than the original single lip seal. I think the GM part no. is 2724954 and the AC Delco # is 15-30948 but confirm that with the dealer.

You need to have all the tools that the shop manual recommends - especially the shaft protector - if you do not use the shaft/seal protector, the threads on the shaft will ruin the new seal.

If the compressor is leaking along the case, replace the compressor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thank you KHE,

Although I do not have the tools I will try to find out something or try to copy

them according to the pictures. I am pretty shure that it's only the seal that leaks

as most of the grease is around the clutch area. I will order the kit from the parts supplier here

in Stockholm.

I hope I will testdrive the new swedish built Cadillac BLS -it is a Saab or Opel bottom

with a very CTS-like body - can be equipped with the 255 hp Holden V6 engine 2.8 litre.

It is said to be extremely quiet - would be nice to have such a car.

/Jan L

Go to cadillac-bls.com

or use google search for 'cadillac bls' - that will give you some info

and 'seriouswheels.com'

/Jan L.

Archived