CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Fuel Leak

mpoling

I have 2 small pin holes in the fuel line between the fuel injectors for cylinder #6 and #8 (1996 Seville STS). Seemed like an easy fix: slide off the little 3" piece of fuel line, replace it, good to go in 15 minutes with $0.50 worth of flexible fuel line. Not so. Seems Cadillac in their eternal effort to make every repair a life altering and financially cripling event (and still I have bought 4 of them) built the little fuel lines as a non-replacable assembly that includes all the fuel injectors. The dealership wants $600. There has to be a reasonable approach. Maybe cut both ends and fit a new piece of rubber fuel line over the fittings? I would appreciate any ideas, or proven approaches that bring this 50 cent repair a little closer to reality.

There has been much discussion/debate on this subject over time here. You might want to go to this home page and use the archives. Just type in "fuel rail" of something similar.

I don't remember anyone coming up with a simple and safe foolproof fix for this problem. Bottom line is you don't want to continue the possibility for a 'thermal event' under the hood of your Cadillac....

If you get the part# and go to GM part direct.com http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ They could save you as much as half of that 600 bucks, which btw sounds a little high anyway. It sure can pay to shop around.

Good luck

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

If you get the part# and go to GM part direct.com http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ They could save you as much as half of that 600 bucks, which btw sounds a little high anyway. It sure can pay to shop around.

Good luck

Copied from gmpartsdirect.com

"GM PART # 17113298

CATEGORY: Fuel Injection Hardware

PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00

GM LIST: $301.12

OUR PRICE: $150.57

DESCRIPTION: RAILF/INJ"

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Was'nt something said a while back about NTSB watching Caddy's leaking fuel rails and that if you have to change yours to keep your receipts in case there was a recall?

I would appreciate any ideas, or proven approaches that bring this 50 cent repair a little closer to reality.

Two weeks ago I had to replace my fuel rail after it developed a very small leak. The biggest problem with simply replacing a three-inch long piece of hose is that the fuel going through this line is under a fair amount of pressure. When I looked at the assembly and without starting the engine, simply turned the key to on, I was pretty amazed at how much fuel was spraying out of one tiny pinhole. I agree it seemed like overkill to replace the whole unit when a little piece of hose should work but after seeing that fuel spraying around the engine compartment I definitely wanted to "play it safe."

BTW I ordered a new AC-Delco fuel rail from GM Parts Direct for $102.50 plus a rather large shipping & handling charge for a total of $122.30. It took about a week to get here.

I could sware I recall this discussion before and it was said that although it is not "officailly" recommended, repairing the section with high pressure fuel line and hose clamps would work safely. That being said $122 is not a bad price especially when compaired to the $600 dealer price albeit a bit more than the $1 it should cost for a 3" piece of hose and a couple of clamps.

Archived