CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How many amps do the stock alternators put out?

Nikolai

According to Rockauto, they sell 138, 140 and 150 amp alternators for your year. The 150 is an AC Delco with (KG4) in brackets which might represent an option like heated windshield or heated seats. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The alternator (water cooled) in my '98 is rated at 140 Amps.

I find that very interesting . My car doesnt have one . I bet replacment on it would run you some extra money ?

Michael

Are you going to gut the whole thing and run all aftermarket? If you do gut it, I'm running a memphis 500d 4 channel for inside and the 1000d for the subs. I got an alumapro 5 farad cap to help out. The only time I have problems is with the a/c on full blast and the radio above 75%. Definitely change out to an optima or comparable battery. I cycled so many delco's before I knew about it. I was getting stuck over the years asking why.

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I find that very interesting . My car doesnt have one . I bet replacment on it would run you some extra money ?

Michael

I'm willing to bet serious money your '98 had a water cooled alternator when it left the assembly plant.

As for the difference in price, there is a little confusion on my part about which years of Seville used the water cooled alternator; but I seem to recall it was only 1998 and 1999. If that is true (big IF), then the water cooled alternator used in '98 and '99 is less expensive that whatever model alternator was factory installed in 2000 Seville production.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Michael

I'm willing to bet serious money your '98 had a water cooled alternator when it left the assembly plant.

As for the difference in price, there is a little confusion on my part about which years of Seville used the water cooled alternator; but I seem to recall it was only 1998 and 1999. If that is true (big IF), then the water cooled alternator used in '98 and '99 is less expensive that whatever model alternator was factory installed in 2000 Seville production.

[/quote

I have all serivce records ... I'll check it out again !

Michael- :)

Michael

Less expensive......I got a qoute from my dealer a few days ago about how much a replacement alternator for my '98 STS would be, since the bearings in mine are going apparently. $1000 parts and labor. List price is around $650 for the water cooled one (model LR630 I believe). That's pretty expensive.

Hosed.. no pun intended..... Stealerships are bad.. twist the wrench your self...

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Gmpartsdirect.com has a reman. alternator for a '98 listed at $308 + profit + shipping. Part #10464581.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hello,I have an aftermarket 300amp alternator in my car.Its pretty much bullet proof.I always recommend the guy who makes the alt to all my fellow competitors.You can contact him @Dominick Iraggi <dominick@tds.net>.Also,he has started to sell on Ebay I belive his name is trafficjamz.Just do a search of cadillac alternator and his name will surely pop up ;)

Takecare

Hosed.. no pun intended..... Stealerships are bad.. twist the wrench your self...

I would if I had the time and space but I don't. I'm just gonna have it rebuilt for about $280 at a shop that was recommended to me in the area.

• 1 month later...

Hmmmmm...water cooled alternator??? Let me run this by you guys!!! I just had my 98 SLS in for a bad water pump and a crack in the radiator was found also...I got the car back today, seemed fine....Drove about 30 miles on the interstate and got "battery saver started" message then flickering battery icon on dash....Car lost all electrical within 10 minutes...Stalled dead off the road...had it towed back to repair shop and there it sits til Monday A.M. I started up after tow driver jumped & got erratic 8.6 thru 12.1 Volts... Could mechanic have forgotten to hook something up to "water cooled alternator" ???

Thanks...Russ

Archived