CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC Question

I have a question. Kevin, maybe you would know. I'm not sure if you recall, but I broke the bolt off on the end of my compressor (the bolt is used to pull the clutck plate in place with the clutch plate installer tool). The new clutch plate was around a 1/4" from being where it was suppose to be when the bolt broke. Do you think there is any way I could press that plate in place if I remove the compressor? The compressor worked fine before the bolt broke and it has a new pulley, bearing and clutch plate, so I hate to scrap it. I know I can't tap the plate in place fear of breaking a seal. Maybe I could put it in a vise and press it on that way??? Or ?

Can you drill out enough of the bolt in order to use an easy-out extracter? That's what I'd try. Clamping in a vise would probably ruin it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Can you drill out enough of the bolt in order to use an easy-out extracter? That's what I'd try. Clamping in a vise would probably ruin it.

I figured that bolt (could see the threads only) was the end of the compressor shaft. Are you familiar with the bolt (or threaded shaft end) I'm referring to? How would clamping it in a vise ruin it you think?

You need to get the bolt out. I doubt the pulley will run true without the bolt. And it will work it's way off the shaft. Try an easy out.

I believe the bolt I was referring to is the end of the compressor shaft. That threaded end is used only to take the clutch plate on and off using a clutch plate installer/remover tool that screws onto the end of that shaft (that's the threaded end that broke off). There is no nut that goes on the end of that shaft to keep the clutch plate on, as it is held there in place by the tapered shaft (I'm guessing it's tapered. So nothing is likely to work it's way off.

If the above is true, and if the other end of the shaft (opposite end of the compressor) is exposed (?), couldn't I keep that shaft end stationary, while having it clamped in a vise, and press the clutch plate on further with the vise. That way no seal damage would occur. The big question though would be, is the opposite end of the shaft exposed or exposable?

Or maybe I could drill and tap the end of the shaft and install an all thread, and use the clutch plate installer tool to press the plate on further. It only needs to go another 1/4" or so. How hard are those shafts and can they be drilled and tapped easily?

I hope that makes sense.

Do you think maybe the threaded end is an all thread that has been screwed into the end of the shaft? I was thinking for some reason it was the end of the shaft itself, and not a bolt or all thread that was screwed in.

OK - I thought you broke the puller/installer tool and it was stuck. The bolt you're referring to is the compressor shaft - At this point, you don't have much to lose if you try to use the vise to force it on.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

OK - I thought you broke the puller/installer tool and it was stuck. The bolt you're referring to is the compressor shaft - At this point, you don't have much to lose if you try to use the vise to force it on.

Is the other end of the shaft (opposite end) exposed or exposable where I can have it resting against the vise jaw? I dont want to have it coming through cracking the case or whatever might be on that end if it's not exposed.

Is drilling and tapping the shaft an option? If I can get a drill in there without taking the compressor out, that would be easiest and least expensive route. I can't recall if there was enough room to get a drill in there or not. And I've never drilled a shaft before. Am I gonna need a super hard bit and tap?

A concern I have is if I do succed to get the clutch plate in place, but do damage to the compressor somehow, and end up contaminating my system with debris, then I'll be out even more time money with a flush and condensor replacement. As it is now, I imagine a compressor swap is all that's needed. Hmmm...

The shaft is not exposed on the back side. You would need to open the unit up and replace the shaft. Then resealing the compressor case becomes a problem without some specialized fixtures. I would probably bite the bullet and purchase a new Delco compressor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I knew that's what I'd have to end up doing, knew it right when it happened! But I just wanted to weigh all my options 1st. Can't blame me for trying! ;)

Is drilling and tapping not an option in your opinion?

Only a 1/4" :angry::lol::angry:

Archived