CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

stupid birds

davedog

Just finished cleaning my car a few hours ago. Some bird had "left it's mark" on my roof. It took alot of scubbing to get it off, but after drying my car there is a dull spot exactly the size that the dropping was. Any tips on how to make it shiny again?

P.S. Didn't notice the dropping for a while because it was almost the same color as my car! :blink: No telling how long it was on there! :o

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I've tried several cleaners, but none helped so far....

Have not tried wax yet....been raining here all day. :(

Any other ideas?

I'm worried that it may have actually damagd the paint. :unsure:

What I do is first off, wax the car with carnauba wax since that's the only wax that's impervious to acid and bird excrement. The thing to remember when dealing with bird excrement is that if it's been on the car for a while, it will have eatten into the clear coat to some extent. You can use a wet towel that's **very wet** with **very warm** water and place it over the spot and let it soak the spot for a while to loosen it up. You can also use a few Zymol products at least for the future, to help protect your finish.

Zymol sells a product called "Field Glaze" which removes bird excrement easily. You spray it on, wait a bit for it to soak in, and then use a very soft towel to remove the mess.

As for the scrubbing you did, you may have actually scratched the clear coat of the paint and of course, Zymol has two products available to help you there. For very light scratches you can use HD-Cleanse, it actually contains a clay compound and smells like chocolate. Apply it to the surface of the car and rub with moderate pressure until the surface of the car becomes tacky, then wipe it off. Most if not all of the scratches should be gone. If that doesn't work they have another product that is very good at removing scratches and other nasty surface problems, Lehm-Klay. You will have to find a Zymol dealer in your area since they don't sell Lehm-Klay to the general public, only to professional detailers.

When rubbing your car's surface, NEVER use a fist to hold the towel or object that you are rubbing the car with. Always use a flat, open hand instead. Rubbing with your fist will create four uneven, high pressure surfaces that will dig into the finish instead of glide over it. Using an open hand will disperse the force of your hand evenly over the finish and will allow the towel to glide over the surface instead of digging into it. Watch how professional body shops buff out a car, when it's done by hand, it's always done with an open hand.

Links to the products: main site http://www.zymol.com

http://www.zymol.com/lehm2.htm

http://www.zymol.com/fglaze2.htm

Good luck.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hi Dave

I have had the same problems .I used 3m rubbing compound fine cut to get the spot off from the bird SH--. I'll call it what it is.To remove the bird dropping use just plain water on a wet towel. I used some windex one time and it really set the spot of bird dropping I had to use a buffing wheel to get the spot out it was rite on the roof on the drivers side and really bugged me. To remove youe spot I would use a cotton towel and rub it out using the 3m fine cut rubbing compound,them re wax the roof. If it softened the paint and is relly a bad spot you may have to use a rubbing wheel.

Good Luck

Jim

Dave

It never fails the birds always go for a clean car. Your eldo looks good It's a bird magnet..

Jim

I've always wondered that myself; the birds always hit the clean cars. Seriously, does anyone know why??? :blink:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hi Marika

Don't know why the birds hit clean cars but it's not always true. In the nicer weather I try to keep my cars clean. In the first pic the car is snow covered and dirty I had to wash it yesterday due to bird droppings all over the car. The other pic is one of the last times i wheeled it and waxed it.My neighbor feeds the birds in the neighborhood.He had a bird feeder about 20 feet from my drive way I told him to get rid of it and the jackass but it in his yard thinks it's out of my sight.

So the birds still hang around and leave their calling cards. If I seen the birds I let my dog out a labador who usually can get his fair share of birds..He was my old duck hunting buddy..Now retired..

Jim

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Maybe because birds love shiny objects.  I have a spot the size of a quarter on my trunk...........I've tried everything and it still shows.  Darn birds!

Jeff

A worst case scenario is that you need to take the car to a local body shop and have them buff it out professionally. B)

Might cost you at the most $75. Will be worth it in the long run.

Hi Marika

Don't know why the birds hit clean cars but it's not always true. In the nicer weather I try to keep my cars clean. In the first pic the car is snow covered and dirty I had to wash it  yesterday due to bird droppings all over the car. The other pic is one of the last times i wheeled it and waxed it.My neighbor feeds the birds in the neighborhood.He had a bird feeder about 20 feet from my drive way I told him to get rid of it and the jackass but it in his yard thinks it's out of my sight.

So the birds still hang around and leave their calling cards. If I seen the birds I let my dog out a labador who usually can get his fair share of birds..He was my old duck hunting buddy..Now retired..

Jim

Keep it waxed with any product that is high in carnauba wax content. 30% or higher is best.

Carnauba wax is the ONLY wax that is most resistant to acid and bird excrement.

You can never wax your car too often. :D

Hi Marika

I use Meguiars gold glass to wax my cars.I usually start with meguiars swirl remover with a rubbing wheel with a 3m foam pad to clean off the surface good then wash and wax the car.If I have fine scratches etc on the finish then I will use some 3m fine cut rubbing compound with a rubbing wheel to remove the marks and then finsh it off whit the swirl mark remover and then wax.I'm not sure if the mcguiars is the most protective product to use but it sure puts a nice gloss on the paint..The gold class is supposed to be the most reflective of the mcguiar wax products.On my other cars I have used the mcguiars yellow wax and that also holds up good..but does not shine as well as the gold class

Cheers

Jim

Hi Marika

I use Meguiars gold glass to wax my cars.I usually start with meguiars swirl remover with a rubbing wheel with a 3m foam pad to clean off the surface good then wash and wax the car.If I have fine scratches etc on the finish then I will use some 3m fine cut rubbing compound with a rubbing wheel to remove the marks and then finsh it off whit the swirl mark remover and then wax.I'm not sure if the mcguiars is the most protective product to use but it sure puts a nice gloss on the paint..The gold class is supposed to be the most reflective of the mcguiar wax products.On my other cars I have used the mcguiars yellow wax and that also holds up good..but does not shine as well as the gold class

Cheers

Jim

Watch out when using any type of wheel polisher. Even if it doesn't leave noticable swirl marks, it might still burn the clear coat and sometimes the paint.

Try to find a random orbital polisher, they don't leave swirl marks, and assuming you don't bear down on the polisher, it won't burn the clear coat and paint.

Here are two that I recommend:

https://www.wenproducts.com/buffers_polishers_7050.asp?m=p

https://www.wenproducts.com/buffers_polishers_10PM.asp

I use the 10 inch RO polisher for my car. Works wonders and making waxing and buffing a breeze.

Jim and Davedog.. Your Caddy's are beautiful! Jim, the snow covered pic reminded me of today! I live in SC, in the beach area and we had freezing rain today. I went to a Chevy dealer about 1 hour away to look at the Silverado's and my Caddy was a huge block of ice! The hood ornament was actually a solid ice cube about 4X4! The wipers were so frozen over they would hardly wipe. I could actually see that they were about twice their size with the ice. I hope the bird thing gets better. What I really hate is when you get it all cleaned, waxed and shining like new a CAT walks over it! Ugh!!! Right up the windshield and down the rear window...

I HATE CATS! Sorry to any cat-lovers out there. For some reason every cat within a 10 mile radius feels the need to battle on my car at night. Have had to start keeping a car cover on all the time. Why are so many animals attracted to this car!

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I guess "scrubbing" was a bad term to use, I was gentle, but firm. Getting the bird poo off wans't the big problem, it's gone, it's just that hazy part that bothers me. As soon as it quits raining I'll try some wax. Then when it gets warmer, maybe I'll treat my caddy to some professional love n' care. :D

Hello

I don't have to worry about cats around my house.All the cats in my neighborhood stay away from my house.If my dog is out he will get them.And if he's inside I'll let him out to chase the cats.The dog is a lab who does not like cats and will get them if he gets half a chance.One time last year in the summer time during the night he actually crashed rite through a patio sliding glass door to go after a cat who was heading towards my yard.The dog backed up across the family room took a running startand just ran rite through the glass shattered glass all over the patio deck and he got the cat too.Scared the hell out of my wife the dog just don't like cats..It was funny but I leave the blinds closed now I don't feel like replacing another glass door

Cheers

Jim

Archived