CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New-ish member / '93 DeVille suspension Q's

Th0r

Hey everyone. I was a a member from 3 years back or so on the old boards. I totaled my car, replaced it with a Neon and Cherokee, and got away from the forums for a while. But now I'm back into a black '93 Deville...for the third time. Hey, guess I'm in love with that body style. :lol:

Now onto the questions:

The air ride on my car is shot. Both struts need to be replaced. The rear end is sagging as expected. Now are there any other options for struts? If I could get away from the air ride I'd like to do that. I suppose even self ajustable air struts would work. What about springs? Are there any longer springs that could be put in the rear? It was always my opinion that the springs should hold the vehicle level and air ride should only come into play when there's a load in the back.

As far as suspension, she handles nicely but I'd like to know if anything that can be done to tighten/stiffen her up? Now I know the car was never meant to be a canyon carver and never will be, but I swear my Cherokee on a 3" lift and 32's holds the road just as well.

Also, how difficult would it be to retrofit the seats from a newer DeVille with a center counsel to fit in my DeVille? I have a lockbox counsel with a mount for my shotgun that I'd love bolt to the car. Beats tossing the gun on the rear seat.

Thanks guys!

Before you conclude that the rear shocks are shot, I would inspect the air lines for leaks. Check to see if it has chafed against the suspension. If you find a leak, GM sells a splice kit for less than $5.

BTW, did you go by BeAsT on the old board?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Before you conclude that the rear shocks are shot, I would inspect the air lines for leaks. Check to see if it has chafed against the suspension. If you find a leak, GM sells a splice kit for less than $5.

The lines are fine, already plugged them off and checked for leaks. I used soapy water on the shocks and both were leaking through the rubber boots.

BTW, did you go by BeAsT on the old board?

Aha, that's the name I used! Yes, I was the wierdo with functional hoodscoop and running a 100+ shot of nitrous in a Sedan DeVille. How did you know?

Those days are over though. I've learned to be content with exaust and intake. Gas is too pricey to floor the pedal and spray nowadays (ok, maybe I grew up a bit too).

:lol: I guess I have a good memory... I remember the hilarious stories that you used to post. :lol:

You should be able to buy passive rear air shocks for your car if it has the electronic suspension. You can also remove the sensor from the old shocks and plug it into the harness and wire it up out of the way so the "SERVICE SSS" light doesn't come on.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived