CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Factory CD player install on 97 Deville

mhinchley

Will a 98 + factory am-fm/tape/cd player fit correctly in dash of a 97 Deville? Mine currently is just the am-fm tape and would like to change to CD and stay factory if possible. If known, what years/models CD players will work/fit in my car?

Can't answer that question but I can tell you that you can put a 6 or 12 disk cd in the trunk and hook it to the lead thats already there. Then you can use the source button on your radio to access it, and your controls on the wheel will also work with it. You can pickup GM cd disk changers on Ebay pretty cheap

I'd like to promote myself to the expert on retrofitting the standard non-bose "am/fm/tape" head unit to a am/fm/tape/cd unit. I successfully did this for my 96 when I installed a '99 head, amp, and 12disk in the trunk, and the extra 5 speakers or so.

Unfortunately, I have to say it's not easy at all, and probably not worth the effort. - starting with getting the radio's theftlock programmed from a authorized GM repair center

But, if you already have the "active audio" system, it may be possible. I guess the best way to tell is if you have an amp in the trunk. then overcoming the theftlock issue may be the most difficult part besides the head swap. (although I am not 100% on this) If you have a source button on your radio, and your trunk is pre-wired for the multidisk, you will probably be better off purchasing the ipod adapter for GM vehicles, and working your IPOD through your radio (not RF). that way you get your music without the headaches. Besides, when you think about it, cd's are a little obsolete too. when was the last time you saw someone carrying around a personal cd player? - mp3 is the way to go.

Well, I am not an IPOD owner..........but I did buy my gfriend one for Christmas and the BOSE wave dock for it (which is well worth $300 by the way.......sounds like my $1500 Kenwood Surround Sound). So maybe I will look into the ipod option on my Caddy and Lincoln and buy an ipod.

hey,

i have seen on emay.com where they take the whole bose system out of the car with everything even the wiring or you can but it one by one . but its worth looking into. the bose is well worth the while !

Archived