CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Navigation...

chazglenn3

Has anyone ever successfully installed the Cadillac navigation system in a car that was not originally equipped for it? I am buying a 2000 STS that has everything but the nav system. I also just purchased the nav touch screen, radio, and CD-ROM drive for the nav system. From what I can tell all that is missing is the bracket to mount the components in the trunk and the GPS antenna. I'm sure there are some wiring harness issues to conquer as well. I called two dealers to inquire and one told me "you have to go aftermerket", and the other told me "Shouldn't be a problem...about $400 or 4 hours of labor". So, I was wondering if anyone had actually done it.

Charles

Charles

Ah...forgot about searching the old board. Thanks Jim! As I was pondering this I came across a nicely loaded 2000 SLS with the nav, changer, moonroof, and parking assist. Maybe I'll take a look at that car also.

Charles

Aarrgh!! The old board isn't working!!!

Charles

Which NAV system did you buy? One from a 2001 and earlier (small screen) or one from the 2002 and newer (large screen)

From what I have read, both can be made to "work" in your car but the right year system will work better. If you bought the big screen it will never drive the CD stacker as the 2002 and new cars communicate to the stacker differently... Also I've read that the voice activated system will not work in the older cars either.

Finally you will need the dealer to "unlock" the theftlock and load in your car's "id". Some dealers will unlock just about anything... some are really picky and will ask you to prove that your radio isn't "hot"...

If you get it to work perfectly post you results and costs

Good Luck!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I bought the CD-based system from the 2000-2001 model years, so it is the correct system for the car. Where did you read about these? I wasn't able to search the old board here, and all I found on Cadillac Forums was about getting the DVD-based system to work on a 2002 Deville.

Charles

Charles

Has anyone ever successfully installed the Cadillac navigation system in a car that was not originally equipped for it? I am buying a 2000 STS that has everything but the nav system. I also just purchased the nav touch screen, radio, and CD-ROM drive for the nav system. From what I can tell all that is missing is the bracket to mount the components in the trunk and the GPS antenna. I'm sure there are some wiring harness issues to conquer as well. I called two dealers to inquire and one told me "you have to go aftermerket", and the other told me "Shouldn't be a problem...about $400 or 4 hours of labor". So, I was wondering if anyone had actually done it.

Charles

Hello. Unfortunately there is no way you can install that OEM 2000 Navigation system in a 2000 STS that was produced without that option. The wiring harness is completely different. I have a 2000 STS without Navigation so I bought a wrecked 2001 STS with navigation. Even the wiring harness from 2000 with Nav to 2001 with Nav is completely different. I had to change the entire harness including the engine harness to make it work. It wasn't worth the effort expect for the challenge. The components from 2000 to 2001 are interchangeable though.

Thanks for the reply, weephee. I hate getting conflicting information. The guy at the service department sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I also read a post on the other forum that said that someone was able to get the DVD system to work on an older car. In that post he said that it would work on 2001 Sevilles, and that seems to match up with your saying that the wiring harness was different between 2000 and 2001. Perhaps I will buy the SLS with the navigation system installed and just have spare parts if ever needed.

Charles

Charles

Archived