CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flushing Radiator system

mrmarty13

How hard is it and what do I need. I am leaking transmission fluid into the radiotor and I need a new one. Is this a job I can do on my own or do I need a mechanic? I found some brand new radiators with a lifetime waranty for about 150 but I need to know what I need to flush the system out before replacing the radiator. Thanks in advance.

How hard is it and what do I need. I am leaking transmission fluid into the radiotor and I need a new one. Is this a job I can do on my own or do I need a mechanic? I found some brand new radiators with a lifetime waranty for about 150 but I need to know what I need to flush the system out before replacing the radiator. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can do that. Make sure you use new gaskets. I never flushed the system cannot say anything. Bar's Leaks golden seal powder (two tubes for 1.44 from Wal-Mart) should be added to the coolant.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have replaced my radiator and it is not that hard at all, but be careful when loosing and tightening the automatic transmission lines into the radiator. If you strip those, the process becomes harder because you then have to replace those lines and that is no fun. Well once you get the new one on, just go to pep boys or an automotive store and buy radiator flush and run it through for a bit and then drain. Then repeat about three more times with water until you see the water running clearer with less rust. Good luck if you attempt it yourself and keep us posted.

I used a 10 minute prestone flush, and added a T to the heater hose also made by prestone. Had a clogged heater core and it cleaned it right out. Was not too bad (save for breaking my MAF housing in the process....lol). I then filled and drained a couple of times with distilled water alone, hoping to remove as much of my tap water as possible. The flush just requires that you run the car to operating temperature, and with the heater on high..........let the car run for 10 minutes (after reaching operating temp). Then you just flush with water until it runs clear.

I used a 10 minute prestone flush, and added a T to the heater hose also made by prestone. Had a clogged heater core and it cleaned it right out. Was not too bad (save for breaking my MAF housing in the process....lol). I then filled and drained a couple of times with distilled water alone, hoping to remove as much of my tap water as possible. The flush just requires that you run the car to operating temperature, and with the heater on high..........let the car run for 10 minutes (after reaching operating temp). Then you just flush with water until it runs clear.

Can someone please explain to me why th eheater should by at high during flush? High just means the airmix door is completely open. It does not affect the coolant flow through the heater core.

Can someone please explain to me why th eheater should by at high during flush? High just means the airmix door is completely open. It does not affect the coolant flow through the heater core.

Prestone does not know what make or model of car you will be using their products in. The instructions are intended to be a general as possible.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Prestone does not know what make or model of car you will be using their products in. The instructions are intended to be a general as possible.

Thanks Jim,

So, there are cars with variable coolant flow thtough the heater core.

Thanks Jim,

So, there are cars with variable coolant flow thtough the heater core.

Many. Thousands. Probably millions of them still on the road.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived