CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blown Computer question.

mrmarty13

Im new here. Thanks in advance for any help and info anyone provides.

Heres the deal I have a 1991 Sedan Deville 4.9L V8 This mechanic had it for like two weeks. He tells me I need new motor mounts for the car. He also told me that I need to replace two fuel injectors. I understand all these things cause its kinda old. What I dont get is that he said the two fuel injectors that went out blew out the computer. Is that possible or is he trying to shaft me.

Does anybody know how to change the fuel injectors to this car. If so please help. In detail. This car is mine and I plan on making it a project so I want to learn how to fix pretty much everything wrong with it. Thanks in advance.

Im new here. Thanks in advance for any help and info anyone provides.

Heres the deal I have a 1991 Sedan Deville 4.9L V8 This mechanic had it for like two weeks. He tells me I need new motor mounts for the car. He also told me that I need to replace two fuel injectors. I understand all these things cause its kinda old. What I dont get is that he said the two fuel injectors that went out blew out the computer. Is that possible or is he trying to shaft me.

Does anybody know how to change the fuel injectors to this car. If so please help. In detail. This car is mine and I plan on making it a project so I want to learn how to fix pretty much everything wrong with it. Thanks in advance.

Fuel injectors blew the computer? Take the car from that "mechanic" ASAP. One of the ways to check the fuel injector to measure its resistance by an ohmmeter. If two of them are really bad you should replace all of them (fivemotors sells some good stuff for reasonable price). If you are going to keep the car get a Factory Service Manual on eBay (some $10 plus shipping).

What was the reason you took the car to a shop? You can diagose a possible problems by turning ignition ON and pressing simultaneously Warmer and OFF buttons on climate control for a few seconds unti you see some info on driver info. center (DIC). If there are codes write them down, and then turn the ignition OFF.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Fuel injectors blew the computer? Take the car from that "mechanic" ASAP. One of the ways to check the fuel injector to measure its resistance by an ohmmeter. If two of them are really bad you should replace all of them (fivemotors sells some good stuff for reasonable price). If you are going to keep the car get a Factory Service Manual on eBay (some $10 plus shipping).

Thanks I kinda knew that was a bunch of bull cause He had it for a week changed one injector that was leaking then a week later he told me the other two went out and they took the computer with it. I picked the car up already he charged me 250 for the one fuel injector. Is that ok or too much. Not sure.

Thanks I kinda knew that was a bunch of bull cause He had it for a week changed one injector that was leaking then a week later he told me the other two went out and they took the computer with it. I picked the car up already he charged me 250 for the one fuel injector. Is that ok or too much. Not sure.

Google "fivemotors" and you'll find a set (eight) 19lbs Bosh injectors for your car for about the price you paid for one. You can replace them yourself. And check out for trouble codes as well.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Google "fivemotors" and you'll find a set (eight) 19lbs Bosh injectors for your car for about the price you paid for one. You can replace them yourself. And check out for trouble codes as well.

THanks been away for a while. Ill check it out.

A shorted injector could easily overload an injector driver and render a PCM bad. To verify what the mechanic has told you you should use a test meter to measure resistance on each injector. Injector with more than 15 or less than 10 ohms are bad. These injectors are known for internal shorts so dont be surprised to get low readings on a couple. To test the computer get a noid light from the parts store. This is a light that plugs in where the injector would and gives a visual signal that the computer is firing that injector properly. If you find a dead driver then replace the PCM. One from a wrecking yard will likely do just fine. These particular PCMs have no current limiting built into the drivers so blowing them is a real possibility. TBI drivers OTOH are peak and hold and limit the current. They will usually not be damaged due to shorts.

HTH

John

Archived