CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 Brougham Power Antenna R&R

Atavar

Remove the right front tire. There is an access panel towards the bottom rear of the inner fender well which is retained by screws/christmas tree clips. Next, open the hood and remove the two screws holding the antenna mast to the fender.

Reach up through the access panel and remoe the bolt that fastens the motor to the mounting bracket. The antenna assembly will be loose - rotate it 180 degees and it can be dropped enough to remove the electrical and coax connections.

The installation is the reverse - feed a piece of wire theough the opening in the fender and tape it to the antenna mast - have a helper use the wire to guide the antenna mast through the fender while you attach the motor to the bracket.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 years later...

I just replaced mine this past weekend. I basically did the exact procedure posted previous to mine. The only difference was that I did not remove my tire. I just turned the wheel to get it out of the way. I have to say that it is a very tight fit. It took me about three hours with the help of a neighbor to remove and replace the power antenna. I did not think it was very pleasant experience. The antenna cost about $15.00 from a Cadillac donor vehicle in a salvage yard. So I saved quite a bit of change. And the antenna looks and works like a brand new one.

I just replaced mine this past weekend. I basically did the exact procedure posted previous to mine. The only difference was that I did not remove my tire. I just turned the wheel to get it out of the way. I have to say that it is a very tight fit. It took me about three hours with the help of a neighbor to remove and replace the power antenna. I did not think it was very pleasant experience. The antenna cost about $15.00 from a Cadillac donor vehicle in a salvage yard. So I saved quite a bit of change. And the antenna looks and works like a brand new one.

I learned the technique on an '85 Fleetwood Brougham - after the first time, I had it down to 30 minutes... Back then, you could purchase a replacement mast & housing assembly from GM for $40 - the old motor was reused.

To extend the life of the antenna, wipe the it down on a regular basis and let it retract and extend, keep wiping it until it is clean. Never lube the antenna as the lube will only attract dirt. I've been doing this on my '93 Fleetwood since it was new and I still have the original antenna.

I think that Cadillac intended to change the antenna location to the rear fender with the 1990 minor redesign and then canceled that plan but didn't update the service manuals.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived