CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Milestone: 150,000 Miles

JasonA

We did it yesterday: 150,000 miles. Hopefully this is just half of her useful life. She's shiny as a penny and the temps are in the 70s today with full sunshine. Life is good. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Congrats!

Do you notice any improvements in drivability now that you've driven a few thousand miles with new plugs?

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

The best improvement was the idle, when the engine was stone cold, while in gear. I know that's a specific symptom, but it would sometimes run rough when I would first back out of the garage. When I got out into the street and put in drive and give it any gas, it would smooth right out and be smooth after that. But the very first cold idle roughness is now gone.

It still starts hard, when warm, once in a blue moon. Out of the blue, maybe once every few months, when I get back into it after going into a store, it'll try to "catch", but not quite all the way. If I just keep the starter engaged a little while longer, maybe an extra second or two, it'll come alive. Possibly something with the FPR, but it's extremely random...like I said, maybe once every few months.

I think my fuel mileage is better by 1, maybe 2 mpg. I'm getting a solid 21 mpg city now. I'm going to drive it about 200 miles on Sunday, so I'm excited to see what the MPG will be.

Good to hear.

I'm at 107,000 miles, and I'm picking up new AC Delco plugs and an FPR on Monday. Plugs are #41-950, as per your earlier post.

If I run any octane less than 94, I experience hard hot starts. After performing a search, seems to be classic FPR symptoms.

I'm looking forward to going back to 87 octane .... 94 runs at least .10 per litre extra, which amounts to over .40 per gallon extra ... ouch.

Plugs cost me $8.25cdn ea., and the FPR is $71.

I'll try to snap pics of the old plugs, see how they compare to yours.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Cad1, I've found the same. As time goes on, I've had to put less and less into this car, and it never required a whole lot to begin with.

I haven't tried lower octane ratings since the new plugs, although I should (at least try it). With the old plugs, I couldn't run any less than premium or drivability would suffer, especially throttle response. The engine just seemed a little more "boggy". It may have been my imagination, but I didn't like it. It has always ran best on premium (which is 92-93 around here). We have three grades of gasoline, and the price difference between premium and regular is almost always 20 cents or less, making the total cost difference on the tank only a few bucks. I only fill the car every 3 weeks on average, so that's not much money over the long haul.

Unfortunately, I didn't find better fuel mileage on the road like I had hoped yesterday. It certainly wasn't bad, but I was hoping for better, especially after perceiving a slight gain in the city after putting in new plugs. I got 27.8 mpg on the 170-mile trip, but that did include driving through two fairly large cities (Fayetteville and Sanford, NC) on the way, and including going into Greensboro for lunch. I was hoping for at least 30, but I may see that again on a 100% highway run...this included too much city driving for that I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I received my best mileage ever on my commuting cycle, on this current tank, which is almost expired. 22.4 mpg There are some other factors. The weather has warmed significantly lately, from the 40s and 50s to the 80s. Not initially realizing the impact of that warmth on my tire pressures, I checked them yesterday and they were about 41 front and 34 rear (up from when I set them during the winter at 35/30). That certainly didn't hurt my fuel economy, but I have set the psi back to where I want it, 35/30.

Archived