CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A basic Tune Up question...

Spurlee

I'm going to keep my 1996 El Dorado (120,000 miles) until the kids are out of college.

It's getting a new A/C compressor and related bits and a new Alternator and belt, of course.

I keep up with maintenance pretty well with regard to filters (air/fuel), lube/oil, new plugs, fresh antifreeze, etc.

Everyone advertises Tune Up's. What is involved that isn't basic maintenance and wouldn't be thrown a code if it was out of spec.? How much can a handy guy do with a good set of tools and a code reader? Is it worth the $$$ or am I simply paying somone else to do pretty basic stuff?

Thanks!

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

For my feeble mind, "tune up" implies beaker-point ignition, distributor caps and rotors, and (yuck) carburetors.

Your engine might benefit from new plugs and wires if you are still running the originals.

As a preventative measure, I would replace the water pump drive belt while you are under there messing around at the other end of the engine.

WOT therapy is the best tune-up.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I agree with JimD. "Tune ups" are a thing of the past. If you ask what is included, they will tell you inspect this and that, but in reality, just plugs and wires if it is pre 2000. After 2000 wires are not even a factor due to COP ignition. Now you can always include TB cleaning, EGR cleaning, and the people that sell "tune ups" will probably include injector cleaning because they have to do something to make it sound like they are doing a "tune up". Bottom line is YES, you are paying someone to do simple maintenance items that you can do yourself every 100K.

Thanks guys, that's sort of what I thought.

Your engine might benefit from new plugs and wires if you are still running the originals.

New wires are probably in order, most everything else has been swapped out already.

It's taken to sometimes starting hard in the past 2 weeks, I'm guessing it's winter weather/gas related.

Very good suggestion regarding the water pump belt - it's often overlooked, I never even knew it was there until it gave out.

Thanks!

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Being a '96, you are probably about due for a fuel pressure regulator. If the hard starting continues, there is a simple test that involves checking the vacuum hose going to the FPR for the presence of fuel... a dead givaway that the diaphram is perforated.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

If the hard starting continues, there is a simple test that involves checking the vacuum hose going to the FPR for the presence of fuel... a dead givaway that the diaphram is perforated.

I'll bet it has, it feels like a fuel problem. Can you point me to the test?

Thanks

If the hard starting continues, there is a simple test that involves checking the vacuum hose going to the FPR for the presence of fuel... a dead givaway that the diaphram is perforated.

I'll bet it has, it feels like a fuel problem. Can you point me to the test?

Thanks

I found a very helpful link, thanks anyway. I'll replace the FPR right away.

Thanks

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Keep in mind that the FPR is only one possible cause, don't go throwing parts at it until you are sure the regulator is bad. Another possible cause would be a leaking injector, which might show up as an overly rich condition at startup.

Keep in mind that the FPR is only one possible cause, don't go throwing parts at it until you are sure the regulator is bad. Another possible cause would be a leaking injector, which might show up as an overly rich condition at startup.

Correct. In any event, if I need one it's just a $45.00 part from Rock Auto (about 1/2 what Auto Zone wanted and fast delivery, too.)

I'll do some diagnostics and see what comes up. I might just swap out all the injectors. I'll look here for a thread and see how hard and expensive that is.

Thanks

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Actually swapping out ALL of the injectors would be pretty expensive. There is a way you can pull all of the injectors, still connected to the fuel rail, so you are able to see all of the tips, power the system, (DO NOT START!) and visually SEE if any injectors are leaking. This is not a test for the home mechanic since it involves taking off the intake manifold and throttle body. A Northstar, started without the throttle body will run wide open!

Actually swapping out ALL of the injectors would be pretty expensive.

I guess I figured that one out when I checked on the price per injector. Wow. I'll diagnose and stick with the basics first.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Archived